Can there still be 3270 ppm salt after 8 mos of winter?

Mar 26, 2013
Newbie here. Apologize in advance if this has been covered, but can't find it. This forum is awesome and I've learned so much. Not to mention how nice and willing to help you guys are!! Thank you.

New to pools, been learning spas, read most everything I can find on this site for SWG chemistry. Helping good friend out w/ pool.

Background: Shocked green pool with obvious algae according to info on this site. Ordered TF-100 test kit w/ salt test strips after started shock due to weather consideration, so not sure how high it got but water is clear & "sparkly". Got kit today & tested water, 52 degrees.

CYA <20
FC 2.5
CC .5
TC 3.0
TA 60
PH 7.6

Obviously needs CYA attention. Pool store guy said to mix dry stabilizer w/ water for quicker results, instead of liquid. Don't see a mention of this anywhere ???

Problem: Salt registered on test strip as 3270 (6.4). Is that possible? Pool was just "turned off" last September, no real winterization other that "bunch of salt" put into it. Any thoughts? Or what I'm missing???

Welcome to TFP!

You won't see the mix CYA with water suggestion here because it doesn't work. In cold water it takes time to dissolve. Don't worry about that, give it the time it needs.

It is certainly possible that the salt level is 3270 now, though without way more information I can't say how likely that is.

Keep in mind that the SWG won't work very well, or possibly not at all, with water that cold.

Guess I didn't explain the dry stabilizer part. Hardware store pool guy says mix it in a bucket of warmer water then add it to pool as a liquid?? Thanks for quick reply. Don't have much to go on for the salt added prior to winter. Just making sure I wasn't missing something. Again, thanks!!

Never add CYA directly to the pool, it can damage the pool surface. Either add CYA to the skimmer (as most manufacturers recommend) or use the sock method as we recommend.

The warm water will have no perceptible effect. CYA will not dissolve in any reasonably sized container of water, warm or otherwise.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.