Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much water to drain at once?

1. Back To Top    #1

How much water to drain at once?

Sorry for the hijack. I will have my Taylor K2006 tonight, but in preparation for a possible drain and refill scenario...How much water can I safely drain from my pool?

I live in a suburb of Houston and a check of the water table indicates it is 0cm (zero!) below the surface.
    19,500gal, Gunite, Pebbletec, Chlorine, PCC2000 cleaner, Stenner Chlorine Pump, MegaCatch Mosquito Trap

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much water to drain at once?

I split your post to its own topic, please do not hijack.

If you water table is that high, you can not lower the water very much at all.
    There are a few options:
    1. Drain a ~foot at a time and refill
    2. Drain from the deep end while filling at the shallow end with the pump off
    3. The legendary tarp method: foreclosure-swamp-in-pensacola-florida-t54326-40.html#p449932

Although you should actually measure and post test results before you start draining.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Is it really at the surface? that would mean your whole yard is seeping water, and if you dig a 1-inch deep hole, it will fill. Is that really the case?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

Which part of Houston? The water table will be very different in the Woodlands vs say Baytown
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

Isaac, I live in Klein (address is Spring, but Klein would be more specific) Just south of Hooks airport.

Melt, no, the water is not really at the surface. I have a large flood overflow "pond" right behind my pool. It is about 15 feet deep and usually empty. My pool is 8ft deep at the deep end.

Here is the link http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewe ... c63c956ca6 It says MINIMUM, not TYPICAL. But this was all I could find.

I really like the tarp method, that is simple genius.
    19,500gal, Gunite, Pebbletec, Chlorine, PCC2000 cleaner, Stenner Chlorine Pump, MegaCatch Mosquito Trap

6. Back To Top    #6

With the lack of recent heavy rains in our area and having a relatively dry spring so far I suspect you would be fine with substantial draining of your pool, from what I have seen of your area it was traditionally farm land until the city grew out there and should drain fairly well, so if the run off pond is dry chances are you are well above the water table. Having said that less draining is always safer.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter

7. Back To Top    #7

I did the K2006C CYA test last night, twice. Once full strength, once half strength pool water.

The 1st test the mixture didn't make it halfway to the 100 line!
    When I did the 2nd, diluted, test, I believe the black dot disappeared before the 100 line still, but it was close to the 100 line.

Now, it was night, so I did this indoors. So I'll have to do it again this weekend when I can get to it during the daytime.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

The tarp method is impractical in many cases and will ALWAYS cost more and be more work than simple multiple drains and refills of draining from one end and simultaneously filling from the other.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

If I put a hose in the deep end, can I just let the water drain out the overfill? Will this effectively remove the CYA?

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

ANY method that you use to remove water will remove CYA. I assume you are talking about creating a siphon. That works just fine as long as you don't drain too much at once. About 1/3 each time is safe.
    Dave S.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    I assume you are talking about creating a siphon. That works just fine as long as you don't drain too much at once. About 1/3 each time is safe.
    I wasn't thinking of a siphon. Actually, I was thinking of just adding water to the deep end and letting the pool overflow through the overflow drain instead of using a pump to drain.

This way I wouldn't have to buy a pump.

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

You will consume a LOT more water but it will work.
    Dave S.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    The tarp method is impractical in many cases and will ALWAYS cost more and be more work than simple multiple drains and refills of draining from one end and simultaneously filling from the other.
    Why do you say the tarp method will cost more? Are you just thinking of the added cost of the tarp? Because that method would require less water than multiple partial drains.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

14. Back To Top    #14

I would be concerned about inaccuracy of doing the CYA test at night, it really needs to be done in sunlight with the sun to your back to get good results. I have noticed major variation on the readings just doing it on a cloudy day vs full sunlight.

Ike

15. Back To Top    #15

Ok, I did a full test on my water just now (good sunlight)

FC = 9.4
    CC = 0.8
    PH = 7.6
    TA = 135 (the sample turned pink at 130 and red at 140 so I averaged)
    CH = 280
    CYA > 200. I did this sample with 1/2 pool and 1/2 tap water and the dot disappears before the sample rises to the 100 line. I emptied the test tube and retested the sample 3 times.

Right now, I have the fill line going and the water is draining through the overflow pipe. I can only let this go for another 30 minutes or so, then I have to go. I'll be gone until Saturday evening.

I am going to leave the chlorinator (in-line pucks) turned to 2 while I'm gone. It can't hurt that much on the CYA front, but I don't want to lose too much FC while I'm gone.

Scott

16. Back To Top    #16

You are in for replacing a LOT of water as your CYA could easily be 300+

Note that when testing you should add drops until the last one does not change the color and then do not count that drop. So likely your TA is 140 ppm.

Also for the FC and CC test, use a water sample of 10ml and not 25ml. Then each drop is 0.5ppm and not 0.2ppm as it appears you did. Just saves the amount of reagent you will go through.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    You are in for replacing a LOT of water as your CYA could easily be 300+

Note that when testing you should add drops until the last one does not change the color and then do not count that drop. So likely your TA is 140 ppm.

Also for the FC and CC test, use a water sample of 10ml and not 25ml. Then each drop is 0.5ppm and not 0.2ppm as it appears you did. Just saves the amount of reagent you will go through.
    I think it will be a lengthy process to get the CYA down to a workable level.

Thanks for the advice on the drop counting. This kit is SOOOO much easier to read than the kit they gave me at pool school.

On the FC and CC, I understand about using the 10ml sample. I wanted to do the 25ml since this was my first test using the Taylor kit.

18. Back To Top    #18

There are more details about all the tests in this sticky:
    extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html
    Jason, TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

I have done some small drains. At this point I'm pumping out with the waterfall/bubbler pump through a garden hose. It's yields about 1.5" per hour.

The CYA registers about 160, down from over 200. I've been adding 8.25% bleach after refilling.

Yesterday's test (3/30)
    FC 6.5
    CC 0.5
    PH 7.6
    CH 230

After today's drain and fill and adding 242 oz. of bleach. It also rained about half an inch during the refill.
    FC 11.5 (so 1 bottle of bleach is about 4ppm of FC. I measured FC before and after adding the bleach)
    CC = 0.0
    CYA = 160

20. Back To Top    #20

4/1/14 Checked FC this morning, it was 9.0. A loss of 2.5 since last night, so I added 4 "gallons" of 8.25% bleach. That brought FC up to 24. CC is 0.5.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast