Persistant cold temps delaying pool opening.

Thinkly

Oct 12, 2009
Overland Park, KS
As is much of the U.S., here in Kansas we are experiencing the "benefits" of a Greenland block and witnessing well below normal temps. These below normal temps are forecast to continue for the next couple of weeks. Considering this I am going to delay opening as I don't enjoy taking care of a pool in freezing temps.

Therefore my pool opening will be at least a couple weeks later than previous years. Last year I believe I opened it around today's date. Regardless, this leaves me with some concerns.

1. I added an algaecide at close but it wasn't polyquat, can't remember what it was just a generic from Lowes. I also made a mistake and added it post winterizing so it didn't circulate. Will it still be effective against algae?

2. My pool has a bit more dirt in the bottom than normal this year although it is still clear. The amount of sunlight is also ramping up dramatically despite the colder temps. Will this make algae grow more quickly. (I do still have mesh cover on the pool.)

3. Would it be a good idea to add some bleach to the water even though it isn't circulating? I know this probably could be a bad idea if it doesn't disperse properly.

How quickly the algae grows is more dependant on the water temperature than the strength of the sunlight ...there is always some sun available.

You can add bleach if your FC level is low, but you should brush the pool very well too insure it is thoroughly mixed in the water.

PS: Based on the forum rules, please shorten your signature to a maximum of 5 lines. Thanks.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.