Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I HATE this time of year!!!

1. Back To Top    #1
    Mobile, Alabama

I HATE this time of year!!!

We live a few miles from the Gulf of Mexico and are surrounded by live oak and pine trees. About November the oaks start dropping acorns and this year was the biggest acorn crop I've seen in the 15 years we've lived here. They are inches deep all over the yard - front, back, and the pool. Then about the 1st week in March the pines start shedding pollen. That covers everything with a layer of yellow pollen - the cars, windows, roof, driveway, and the pool surface. Anything outdoors turns yellow with pollen.

Then about the 1st or 2nd week in March the oak trees start shedding their leaves. Tons and tons of leaves coming down and if the wind blows even a little it looks like a brown snow blizzard. That results in inches of leaves on top of the inches of acorns. But wait, that's not enough the next event is oak tree pollen. It is preceded by the shedding of new leaf cases. That is very small bits tree debris that is fine enough to plug a sand filter in 24 hours. Then the oak tree pollen starts in earnest. This stuff is in the form of light weight nodules bound to an inch long stem and it comes down by the ton. It will plug off the pool skimmer in less than an hour with even a slight breeze. It can completely cover the surface of my 20X40 pool overnight, It covers the roof, the driveway, and the yard, and it adds a couple of inches to the acorns and leaves already on the ground.

Now I'm looking forward to at least two weeks of hard manual labor to get everything cleaned up. But I'm lucky because I have the land area to dispose of the debris. Some of my neighbors are not so lucky and will pay from $500 - $1500 to have their yards cleaned up and everything hauled off.
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: I HATE this time of year!!!

I feel your pain on those oak tree "droppings". I sometimes think I need a seaweed harvester in the pool!

All mine are north of the pool. Guess which way the wind blows!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3
    NE Kansas

Since you have the yard space your neighbors don't- opportunity seems to be knocking loudly for you to make that $500-1500 bucks. New pool equipment doesn't pay for itself.
    We don't have as many issues as you but the maple leaves and cedar trees try their hardest to cover our yard as well. I just pile them up, call the FD to let them know I'm burning and all is well. (unless the field catches fire but that's another story)
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

4. Back To Top    #4
    SouthWest Alabama

And then there's the sweet gum balls! I hate sweet gums!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Is it worse than snow?

(Kidding, the snow will melt quickly.)
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]