Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Low CH / Higher pH ... still OK?

1. Back To Top    #1

Low CH / Higher pH ... still OK?

So I am fortune enough to have great water for AZ.

I just did a major water replacement to lower the CH and recent test shows I am at around 130 ppm in my pebble pool. The pH seems to be currently hovering around 7.8. According to poolcalc, I am sitting right around a 0 CSI

My question:
    I am clearly low on the CH, but know it will rise due to evaporation. Is the low CH a concern if all other parameters keep the CSI in check? I just am not 100% sure if the low CH could cause problems even if the pH stays a little high.

Test results as I remember them:
    FC 4.0
    pH 7.8
    TA 80-120 (discrepancy between old and new kit ... sounds like I am seeing the static problem with this test according to Dave)
    CH 130
    CYA 30
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Low CH / Higher pH ... still OK?

As long as you keep an eye out for the CSI level and keep it in range there is no problem running with CH at 130. We don't normally recommend doing that for a variety of reasons, but high CH fill water limits your options and makes what you are doing worth the extra effort/attention.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. Good to know. Just wanted to make sure I should not be running out to add calcium.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Hmmm ... playing with numbers and was thinking of starting to add salt soon (for feel and hopefully the SWG I have been talking about for over a year). But, that certainly hits the CSI pretty hard to the negative.

I guess I will have to pay super extra special attention to everything as I go forward.
    Jason, TFP Moderator