Filling gunite void from the outside

May 28, 2012
San Antonio, TX
I have a shotcrete pool that sits entirely above ground. There are a couple small voids/hollow spots on the outside of the pool shell. Also, water slowly seeps through one of the hollow spots. This is not causing significant water loss, just pointing out that the area is wet.

The problem is that some critter (squirrel?) is stashing acorns in these spaces. Since water is available, the nuts are sprouting. This has me worried that it might create cracks in the shell. I've fished out this year's supply of acorns but need to cover the holes before next winter's nutfest.

What is the best way to fill these voids?

Thanks!

Thank you for all of the great information. I've been lurking here since before the pool was completed a year ago. It has always been maintained the TFP way (with some trichlor) and chemical balance has definitely been trouble-free.

Most of the pool shell is hidden under a skirted cedar deck and unfinished. The exposed section (behind the water feature) has a coat of mortar mix and rises about 15 feet above ground.

Here's a picture of the pool area:
poolpic.jpg

Here's a picture of one of the holes on the outside of the pool shell. It is just an area where the gunite didn't fill against the form boards during the build process and can hold about a dozen acorns.
IMAG0370.jpg

Nice pool.

Yeah I would suggest just getting a small bag of tile grout from home depot that comes pretty close in color to the gunite and get the gunite as dry as you can and place it in with a putty knife. If you try to do it when the gunite is seeping, It likely will wash out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.