I thought it was hopeless... thanks for the help!

MichelleA

LifeTime Supporter
May 21, 2008
North Carolina
I just wanted to say thank you for the help that you have here.... I have been on this site a lot the last few days and am so excited about what I've learned! This is our fourth summer with our above ground 24' pool. The first and second year, everything was picture-perfect. I did whatever the pool store people told me to... it was a bit costly, but the water was perfect, so I didn't question anything. Last summer, we opened to cloudy water. Not really green, but very cloudy. Again, I continued to do whatever the pool store people told me.... purchased something different every time I went in to have my water tested. They kept telling me the levels were all good... but the water never cleared up totally. My trust was wavering.

Last weekend we decided to take the cover off and start getting the water ready..... I'll spare you the details, but a lot of junk from the cover went in the pool. Not a good day. I thought I would never get the water clear now. Well, I started searching online wondering if maybe bleach would help before I go to the pool store to test the water. I found your site and started reading about the BBB method.... I have been adding bleach like crazy and the water is so much better! It is no longer green.... it is blue, although not clear yet... so I still have a ways to go. I just ordered the TF-100 test kit. I figure this year I'll spend the money on a thank you to your site and ordering my own test kit instead of all the chemicals the store would have told me I needed to buy.

Thanks again! All the posts and info on this site have been so helpful!

Michelle

Hi, Michelle,

That's a very nice post....Thank you for the kit order.

It's nice to see another Carolinian on here....there's getting to be a bunch of us.

I hope you'll stay very active on the forum and post often with questions. It's a great bunch of people with a ton of pool knowledge. :lol:

Got my test kit FAST.... now I have a question....

Wow... can't believe how fast that test kit came! I ordered it yesterday and it arrived today! Thank you!

Here are my numbers -

FC .5
CC .5
TC 1
TA 110
pH 6.8
CH 250
CYA 0

I have added about 15 gallons of bleach the last few days. The water is now blue, but not clear. I can only see about a foot or so deep. (It also smells better.) I am seeing improvement every day.

Now that I have these numbers, I have used the pool calculator to see what I need.... going to work on that this afternoon. Before this site, I don't ever recall hearing about CYA or Stabilizer. Last year I could not hold any chlorine.... maybe this was the problem???

My question is about the CH test. I have an above ground 24' Zodiac pool with a vinyl liner. Do I need to add the calcium chloride? A couple of places I have read that it isn't important for the vinyl liner. Just want to make sure I am doing the right thing.

Again, thank you so much for the info here. I have learned so much by reading other posts/questions.

First you should bring the PH up to at least 7.0. You should use borax, though soda ash/PH Increaser will work.

Second, you need some CYA in the pool. Long term you should aim for between 30 and 50, but don't add it all at once.

Once you have some CYA in the water you should never let the FC level get that low. When CYA is near zero it can't really be helped.

Your CH level is already fine. Leave it where it is.

Once the algae is dead it can still take the filter up to a week to clear up the water. You should see a visible improvement each day.

Hey Michelle -

Welcome to the forum and glad you found it. And, glad to see you are a LTS. As has been said before, there is a ton of helpful information here for just about every question you may have. So, jump in ... the water's fine!

You guys are wonderful! Thanks so much for all the help. Our pool is looking great. All of the levels are good.... I love having my own test kit. Our water is very nice and blue, but still a little cloudy. I can see the bottom of the pool, but am waiting for the "crystal clear" water. Do I just need POP? Will it continue to clear up?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Michele!

Welcome to TFP! I'm a Carolina girl at heart since I am right on the GA/SC border and spend lots of time in the low country of SC :) see my avatar, no place like hunting island :lol:

This is a great site and you will learn sooooo much and everyone is so helpful!