Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is my system pressure too high?

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Is my system pressure too high?

Do I have a problem?

Most here seems to have pressures at the filter around the 15-20 psi range. Some even in the single digits. My pump pressure is usually around 30 psi. I do have an in-floor cleaning system and solar heating. The solar collectors are about 50 ft away and 1 1/2 stories above the pool, so that adds some resistance and 7 or 8 pounds of head pressure. As the cleaning system cycles through he zones, the pressure fluctuates by about 5 pounds, but seems to run in the 28-33 psi range.

Is this a problem?
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is my system pressure too high?

Given the size of your pump and all the high head loads (gas heater, solar, and floor system). I think that is within the normal range (sounds familiar to my previous house ... wish I wrote down the equipment spec and pressure readings). That is a pretty big jump in pressure for the solar. What size is the plumbing to/from the panels? How many panels? Wondering if you are forcing too much water through them.

Is the 2nd pump for the spa jets? Is the heater on that loop or the main pumps, loop? Is it bypassed?

You could post up more pressure readings with various systems on/off and maybe that would clear somethings up.

OK, I will stop spewing my random thoughts/questions
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

The heater and the second pump are on a separate spa loop. I just measured, the equipment pad is 60 ft away from the risers to the solar panels. The solar panels are Heliocol HC-50 and there are 12 of them. All my plumbing is sch40, 2 inch ID. The floor system is by A&A.

With the top of my solar panels about 20 ft above the pump that should add 8.66 psi. That is just in head pressure, with no accounting for friction loss in the supply and return or resistance in the panels.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

If "floor system" means in-floor cleaning system, then high pressures are required by in-floor cleaning systems to work correctly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School