Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair VS settings for backwashing DE filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair VS settings for backwashing DE filter?

I just backwashed my DE filter for the first time since pool construction finished last week. Holy **** what a pain in the arse! I need to find a better way to backwash the filter, because what I did today will no work!!

So.. I thought I could handle backwashing the filter.. heck, I watched enough Youtube videos and I just finished reading the How-to article that I found on the board. So I went to my local pool supply and picked up a few supplies to get the job done.

What I have:

- Pentair VS pump
    - Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE filter
    - 25 bag of DE powder
    - 2" x 50' roll of backwashing hose + clamp

I planned on backwashing into my 3" irrigation drainage system for the first time, because I was not sure if that much water flowing through my house drains (I have a backwash P-trap) would cause any problems. I'm sure glad I did this, because I probably would have had a foot of standing water in my house if I didn't.. lol.

So I started by cleaning all the baskets and lubing the seals before I put the pumps covers back on. I also cleaned the skimmer. I then primed the pump to make sure their was no air in the system. I then pulled up the lever on the filter and made sure the hose was connected, before unleashing the hounds! First trial. Put the automation in service mode then selected high speed for the pump and hit the button. Hose flew off at the filter and DE powdered backwash water started flowing!! Second attempt, I made sure the hose was secured and let her rip again. I had the hose extend and set to empty into the irrigation drains. That did not work... I've run plenty of water through the irrigation system, but the amount of flow from the VS pump is too much for 3" piping. I had water shooting up from two other drains.

So, here's my question. What speed on the pump is required for backwashing DE filters? The VS on high speed is a lot of water. Also, is their a setting where the VS pump doesn't try to prime the pump? Even if I selected lower speeds, the pump always starts out on high before it settles down to the lower speed. That is probably what caused me the most trouble.

In the end I got it done, but I also cleaned about 200 feet of sidewalk in the process.. I can't do that again...

Thanks...
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair VS settings for backwashing DE filter?

LOL ... I can just picture the white water flying everywhere.

Just wait until you take the filter apart to do a thorough cleaning (should do it once a year) ... that is a fun mess as well.

I have no experience with the VS pumps, so I am not sure of what to suggest to help you out ... someone should be along shortly with some ideas.

Not sure why the 3" pipe could not handle it ... you are running it through smaller pipes for the pool, although granted at higher pressure.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

There is no way to avoid priming, but you can control the priming speed. There is a setting on the pump that lets you adjust the priming speed. You need to turn that down to somewhere in the 2000 to 2400 RPM range. You should also use a speed in that range to backwash the filter.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the suggestions... I'll set the priming speed and try to do it next time around 2000rpm... Now for my next trick... getting the CYA to dissolve!
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!

5. Back To Top    #5

If you squeeze the sock (or whatever) a few times every time you walk by, you will help the process speed up a bit.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Do you have it in a sock in front of return or in skimmer basket? If you do give it squeeze every so often.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

Got beat'n to it

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

I figured out the squeezing part.. I just have to do it a little more frequently. What I did was fill two socks, then hung them with the lid of skimmer suspending them in the water.

I used these tactical socks. The packaging said they were "High Speed"... guess not..

9. Back To Top    #9

Nice!!! They might dissolve faster suspended in front of a return jet in stead of the low flow through the skimmer.
    Jason, TFP Moderator