Intex Above Ground Pool Solar Heater connection questions

Apr 16, 2012
Hello,
I currently have an Intex Ultra Frame 32'x16' with a 2650GPH sand filter with salt water Chlorine Generator. I had hooked up my 4'x20' solar panel to this. I was wondering since I have it all taken apart, because of winterizing, if there is a better way to connect the heater. Currently the heated water goes through the sand filter and then through the Chlorine Generator then back to the pool.

Here is a simple picture of what I am currently doing.

Last year, the water temp was great. Just wanting to make sure I have the heater in the correct location. This year I will be adding the Manual Valves and the little browing pipe (for a bypass), and also the leaf catcher with a mesh bag, since there is really no filter before this, other than the plastic mesh leaf catcher, which allows bugs to pass on through.

So basically I have the water going through, the pump, Heater, sand filter, Chlorine Generator.

My question is, Should the heater be AFTER the sand filter, but before the generator? I think it needs to be before the Chlorine Gen, since it produced bubbles, and I don't want to interfere with the solar Heater.

Attachments

• Solar heater hook up.jpg
    Solar heater hook up.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 445
Re: Intex Above Ground Pool Solar Heater connection questi

Did it work well for you? I just picked up 2 Eco solar 2x20 kits for our 9x18 intex. We have a swg which well use as normal. Well use the smaller filter (came with the pool) solely for the heater run. That way we can control the flow thru the heater separately from the swg/filter. Any helpful hints and your opinion on yours would be great!!! We're in nj and I'm already itching to get things Rollin for the summer!

Hello,
I think having a dedicated pump for your Eco Solar panels will be more than enough power. Also, I think your 9x18 pool will be very warm once you get started. Like it was stated, more water flow the better. once it's all up and running, if you touch the solar heater, it should be cool to the touch, even on the hottest days. That is a good thing! If it is hot, that means that there is not enough flow. Also, if it has been sitting it the sun and you then turn on the pump, watch out, the water going into the pool can BURN you. It's that hot, but after about a minute, it will cool right on down to just a degree or two above the current pool temp.

Last year, in our 16x32, It easily reached temps of 95+ degrees (with the same square footage of solar heating that you now have...) I don't like it that hot, but the kids LOVED it...( I didn't realize that I had 10 or so kids that belonged to me... :wink: but they seemed to be in my backyard every day) they started to complain once the temp was near 85F They got spoiled.

Also, if your pool it too HOT, it is easy to cool down. Run the pump for the Solar Heater at night. It does the exact opposite, cools the pool. It will also cool down the pool if it is cloudy day, so don't run it then either.

I wish you luck getting the pool ready for summer. You will be happy with the increased heat in the pool.

Thanks so much!! We have full sun all day so I'm hopeing we can swim in April vs June!! Ok maybe early may :). We heat up fine in July/aug but chilly earlier. We did the solar rings last year and they didn't work so we got a normal solar blanket for this year and the two heaters. I'm ready for summer!! Ill post pics/results when we get it running!

trhardy said:
Hello,
I think having a dedicated pump for your Eco Solar panels will be more than enough power. Also, I think your 9x18 pool will be very warm once you get started. Like it was stated, more water flow the better. once it's all up and running, if you touch the solar heater, it should be cool to the touch, even on the hottest days. That is a good thing! If it is hot, that means that there is not enough flow. Also, if it has been sitting it the sun and you then turn on the pump, watch out, the water going into the pool can BURN you. It's that hot, but after about a minute, it will cool right on down to just a degree or two above the current pool temp.

Last year, in our 16x32, It easily reached temps of 95+ degrees (with the same square footage of solar heating that you now have...) I don't like it that hot, but the kids LOVED it...( I didn't realize that I had 10 or so kids that belonged to me... :wink: but they seemed to be in my backyard every day) they started to complain once the temp was near 85F They got spoiled.

Also, if your pool it too HOT, it is easy to cool down. Run the pump for the Solar Heater at night. It does the exact opposite, cools the pool. It will also cool down the pool if it is cloudy day, so don't run it then either.

I wish you luck getting the pool ready for summer. You will be happy with the increased heat in the pool.
Thanks for the information, you answered many of the questions that I have. The only remaining question is: Do you have a bypass for the solar heater?

Hello f3justusc,

can you see the picture in the original post, you might need to be logged in?? If you can, it would be the valve in the little orange pipe that is drawn in. So yes, I did put in a bypass, so I can just run my pump and filter and Salt Water Generator.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

That is great! Unfortunately it snowed on us a little here in Boise ID, so my pool is still COLD...

You will love the extra heat from the second panel.

SOOOO frustrated at this point I can't even tell you. So after spending 100 on sump hoses, clamps, etc. to move the one solar panel to it's official location and add the second panel we have NOTHING. We literally spend all friday evening, saturday and sunday trying to get it set up. First we couldn't get the plugs apart on the panels to connect them together, now we can't get the hoses to clamp down tight enough so we're not losing water at all of the connections. We're going into an intex cartridge filter (just for the solar set up) and the water pressure is fine, is there a specific type of hose that we're supposed to be using? We picked up black sump hose to connect to the intex via the adapter, but we also need to connect 2 pieces of the hose together for the return. I can't find any hoses online that do not have the plastic end piece but do have the ring for the clamp. We are literally spewing from every single connection from the filter right to the solar panels. What are we doing wrong? We sit on a 50 ft bluff. I wasnt sure if hubby was going to throw me....the panels...or himself over the edge :( Can anyone point us in the right direction?

A picture might help us here, I am having a hard time answering without it. For connections between "barbed" pipes I use reinforced black rubber hose.

Well now were on the second set of hoses. Went to the pool store and they said to use vacuum hoses. Got it Hooked up and the end that typically attaches to vacuum leaks all over the place. Back to the store and got replacement ends so we can cut and caulk new ends on that won't leak. By the time were done I could have bought a gas heater :-(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.