Installing a pool in Miami Beach: soft soils?

Mar 25, 2013
We are thinking of buying a home in Miami Beach, just spoke to 3 different pool builders and they said the price would likely be between $25-35K. But one of them said that in Miami Beach it is common that you may need to install pylons under the pool to insure that the pool does not sink because the soils are usually "soft" in Miami Beach. She said that the first step would be to have an engineer do some soil boring to see if the soil is soft and if so the pylons under the pool would be needed and that would cost an additional $20,000!

The other two companies did not mention anything about the soft soils or the additional costs. Which got me a little suspicious that she was just trying to rip us off a little extra. An additional $20,000 seems like so much just because of soft soils, that is almost twice the price.

Does anybody here have any experience with building pools in Miami Beach or South Florida or "soft soils"?

I know that before building in a lot of places in the south you have to do a percolation test to see if additional support is required. I would assume something similar might apply to pools.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.