High CYA and need to drain

Greta

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 25, 2013
Hi, I'm new girl, and I, too, have high CYA and need to drain it, but am also looking for best way to drain, as the pool is not plumbed into city sewer. Will all that draining acid not hurt growing things??

Welcome to TFP!

Post up test results and we will better be able to answer the question, although I think the water would have to be pretty out if whack to cause as problem.

Thanks for the welcome!
I'm awaiting delivery of my test kit so have been using pool store's water analysis. The CYA has been consistently over 100, as high as 138, though last test (3/22), after I drained a foot of water, was down to 100. Most recent analysis includes the following:
FC 3
TC 3
pH 7.6
TA (adjusted [whatever that means]) 71
CH 451
CYA 100
Saturation Index (not sure what this means, either) 0.4
Water is slowly draining again through garden hose, and I'm hoping for the best. Perhaps I should drain 2 feet this time.

Welcome to tfp, Greta :wave:

Pool store cya results are tend to be very unreliable. I would recommend waiting to another drain/refill until you get your own kit test numbers. Then you can be more efficient/smart with how you do it. Which kit are you getting?

Thanks for the animated welcome, and suggestion.
I've ordered the Taylor K 2006. Hoping it will hurry up and arrive. Things are warming up in TX and I dread some algae event before I've got the chemistry worked out. I've already been dealing with black algae due to debris held over winter under steps. My negligence. Wedding cake steps are for sale!

Oh, of course. POP.

Thanks for the encouragement on draining. It was your patient expertise on water chemistry that allured me, along with many other helpful posts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.