Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Cover Size-Critical??

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Cover Size-Critical??

Is it critical that a solar cover reach to the edges of the pool? We can purchase a solar cover that will reach 6" from each side that we won't need to cut to fit. It would also leave the steps open (we have a 17X36 inground pool with vinyl liner and fiberglass steps). Will too much heat escape through the open edges and step area? Should we go ahead and purchase the larger cover and cut it to fit? Thanks for your advice.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Solar Cover Size-Critical??

Welcome to TFP!
    Lots of people have covers that don't reach the edges, but I wouldn't I've found if it doesn't reach, when the wind blows, water will puddle up on top of the cover. That defeats the whole purpose!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Thx for the welcome and your prompt reply. Guess I'll quit being lazy and just order the larger size and cut to fit. Nice to think about the pool while I watch the howling wind blow snow around outside!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Twin Cities, MN

Welcome to tfp, Kentucky Bette
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.