Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cupro-nickel gas heater for SWG pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

cupro-nickel gas heater for SWG pool?

Hi all - been lurking/reading for a while but now I need to finally post since I have had some IGP quotes starting to come in and want to clarify a heater question. Question is if I'm chlorinating the pool via SWG, will a cupro-nickel gas heater be recommended or if the water is kept balanced properly will the effect of salt be the same on a copper exchanger compared to the cupro-nickel exchanger? I tried searching this but only one thread came up where the topic went towards efficiency which doesn't answer my question. Also, it's not that any builder has recommended it - it's just that should I be asking for this specified in the quotes or not?

Pool will have a spa as well so am looking at a 400KBTU unit.

(Also, I'm in SoCal so I believe I'm already required to get the low NOx version).
    15'x35' IG 16,500 gallons w/attached raised 18" spa continuous coping w/underneath spill and ledger stone wrapped, NPT mini pebble aqua blue w/2x pigment & abalone shell finish, 2"x24" travertine coping, 3x Jandy Color LED lights (2 in pool), Jandy Flo Pro 2HP VS pump, Jandy LXI (low NOx) 400K BTU heater, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Jandy AquaPure Ei SWG, Jandy Z4 automation with iAqualink and remote poolside PDA, 1,300 sqft Belgard Catalina paver deck with drainage, fire pit that matches the spa with travertine coping and wrapped in ledger stone, Elitewood insulated patio cover, Vinyl gates, back vinyl fence coming soon...
    TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: cupro-nickel gas heater for SWG pool?

If you keep the chemicals balanced properly you do not need to buy Cupro-Nickel. Even if you did buy it and didn't keep the chemicals balanced properly it would only be a matter of time before the heat exchanger deteriorates. It would just take a little longer on it vs regular copper.

I would be more concerned about calcium build up with a swg.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

My pool was just finished a week ago. During the quoting process, I had the same questions that you did about the salt water and the heat exchanger. Knowing what I know about the corrosiveness of salt, I opted to get the Nickel version of our heater. In our case, we chose the Pentair Mastertemp 400k HD (HD is for the Nickel Exchanger). If that gets me an extra 5 years out of the heater, then it will been worth the extra cost. For us, the PB threw in the upgrade at no charge, but doing my own searching it seems like the difference is $300-$400.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a cupro-nickel heat exchanger in my heater (with SWG). Which heater are you looking at that has a copper heat exchanger? I didn't think they were that common anymore.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    I have a cupro-nickel heat exchanger in my heater (with SWG). Which heater are you looking at that has a copper heat exchanger? I didn't think they were that common anymore.
    Not sure about which (brand?)at this point? Bids I've recevied thus far from different builders have been: Jandy, Pentair and Raypak, they only specified "400k BTU heater" so just trying to learn about the options available and if it should be considered.
    15'x35' IG 16,500 gallons w/attached raised 18" spa continuous coping w/underneath spill and ledger stone wrapped, NPT mini pebble aqua blue w/2x pigment & abalone shell finish, 2"x24" travertine coping, 3x Jandy Color LED lights (2 in pool), Jandy Flo Pro 2HP VS pump, Jandy LXI (low NOx) 400K BTU heater, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Jandy AquaPure Ei SWG, Jandy Z4 automation with iAqualink and remote poolside PDA, 1,300 sqft Belgard Catalina paver deck with drainage, fire pit that matches the spa with travertine coping and wrapped in ledger stone, Elitewood insulated patio cover, Vinyl gates, back vinyl fence coming soon...
    TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Go for the Raypak. Salt water is not that corrosive. The level of salt in a pool is not that much. Also consider this, when your salt cell goes bad, probably in 3-4 years, you are looking at around $300-$400 to replace the cell. Not to mention the periodic cleaning of the cell with muriatic acid. So is it really worth it to go the salt route.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

7. Back To Top    #7

If the pool is balanced, the cell will likely never require cleaning. And if there is ever desire to go on vacation and not have to worry about having someone add chlorine to your pool, then the SWG is certainly worth the convenience. This along with not carrying endless bottles of bleach makes them worth it to me.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Copper is fine at SWG salt levels, but has problems at ocean water salt levels. Copper-nickel is good at all salt levels. Both kinds have problems with low PH.

For maximum safety you want titanium, which has become fairly common in heat pumps but is quite rare in gas heaters.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School