Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG recommendations

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG recommendations

Hi Folks,
    Iím new to the forum but have been searching around the forum for a week or so and I have a few questions.
    We live in Central Florida and have a pebble-tech pool (tiny pebbles imbedded in cement), itís approximately 20K gallons. Iím looking to install a SWG, my local pool company has been telling me to get a Hayward Aqua-Rite, but it looks like there are a few issues with these. From what Iíve read it looks like the Compu pool and CircuPool are close to the same products under two different names, but they look like pretty decent units. Is there a discernible difference between the two other than the price? Are there any other reliable SWG you all would recommend? Also what size (.lbs per day) would you all recommend using for a pool of this size in Florida?
    Also Iím interested in perhaps putting together a system that is expandable to control the PH level as well, are there any recommendations you all would like to make that incorporate the SWG and have the ability to add-on a PH leveling system?
    Thanks in advance!
    22,000 Gal. Pebble-tech Sand Finish Pool | Pentair Pump(s) | Jandy AquaLink RS6 Controls | CircuPool RJ45 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG recommendations

The Circupool is a Compupool with a few extra bells and whistles. We haven't received many complaints on either.

You can install a pH controller that's independent of the swg, but if you want it incorporated you may want to look at one of the more automated units like the Autopilot or Pentair units.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/ľhp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the info Bama Rambler. Any feeling for the efficiency/reliability, price, between the Autopilot or Pentair units?
    22,000 Gal. Pebble-tech Sand Finish Pool | Pentair Pump(s) | Jandy AquaLink RS6 Controls | CircuPool RJ45 SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

All the units mentioned have good reliability records.

Keep in mind that you'll want to size the unit between 1Ĺ and 3 times the pool size (30k - 60k unit).
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/ľhp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Right, need to keep the sizing in mind, thanks for the input.
    How difficult is it to install an acid pump (timer, metering device?) and what is needed? Seems like that might be all you would need given the propensity for the SWG to increase Ph.

6. Back To Top    #6

Many of us swg users on here get by without needed to lower ph very often. This is accomplished by keeping our TA down below 80 ppm. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...ater_generator

If you have water features that constantly aerate like waterfalls or jets, then you may need an acid dispenser. But if not, then a acid dispenser is likely not needed.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

Hey thanks linen I read the water balance for SWG, but I do have two waterfalls that are a part of the normal filtration process. On my previous pool I had kept my stabilizer level around 70-80, but still had high ph, and I only had one waterfall on that pool. That's the reason I thought about the acid dispenser, you have any suggestions on a reliable system?

Thanks in advance.

8. Back To Top    #8

I see, as you know, with two waterfalls you likely will have constant ph increase.

Hopefully someone with direct knowledge of acid pumps will chime in soon with a recommendation.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

Stenner peristaltic pumps are ideal for acid injection. Combine one with a timer that can be set by the minute and you have a close to ideal system.

The need for such a system varies. If you have high TA fill water or plan to run the waterfalls several hours every day then an acid injection pump is a good idea. If fill water TA is low and you only run the waterfall now and then you can balance your levels to greatly reduce or eliminate PH increases.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Excellent input thanks! I'll do some searches on this type of setup, look like the Stenner pump is fairly popular.
    Thanks again.