Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wiring 2-speed pump for HI speed only

1. Back To Top    #1

Wiring 2-speed pump for HI speed only

Aloha guys & gals...

Just checking in with any of you who know your electricity more confidently than I do...

I have a Hayward 115V 1HP 2-speed pump I acquired that I am planning to use as a mobile pump for cleaning rainwater catchment tanks...only HI speed is needed, and I want to keep the switching simple (On and Off).

The motor wiring schematic shows:
    PIN 2--Line
    PIN 3--Hi Speed Line
    PIN 4--Lo Speed Line

I am bringing in a 3-wire, 12ga extension cord to a waterproof "ON-OFF" switch. I plan to wire nut the neutral (white) wire, and run the hot black wire (115V) through the switch, and ground to the ground screw, of course. I then plan to have the neutral (white) wire go to PIN 2, the hot black wire go to PIN 3, and the ground to the motor ground. I am completely ignoring PIN 4, since Lo speed isn't needed (and a "speed choice" switch isn't needed).

Does this sound right to you guys?

Big Island Pool Service

No pool of my own...but my customers' pools are ALL my foster babies!!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Wiring 2-speed pump for HI speed only

Sounds right to me.

Kind of odd though that pin 2 is called "line" and not "neutral" ... verbiage sounds more like a 230v pump.

Was the switch already on the motor? I assume it is a spdt switch then that you will only use half of.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason...

That's what bothered me...why would they call PIN 2 Line?

It IS a 115V motor (I have seen it running properly at both speeds)...and no, it doesn't have the switch on the back cover, or I would just leave it that way. So my extension cord goes to a watertight ON/OFF switch, and then to the motor.

But since the old "two switches" rig was rusty and not watertight, and also since it is getting mounted to a hand-truck for mobile use, and I'm putting a 50-foot extension cord on to power it (all ultra watertight stuff), I figured I had better check with the gang here at TFP. I figure the old rig's secondary switch (AFTER the ON/OFF switch) sent the hot 115V to either PIN 3 or PIN 4 (depending upon the switch position), with the neutral going to PIN 2...but I threw the whole "two switch rig" away a year ago, so I can't check it anymore...
    Big Island Pool Service

No pool of my own...but my customers' pools are ALL my foster babies!!

4. Back To Top    #4
    SouthWest Alabama

They call it "line" because they use the same terminal board for 115 and 230 volt motors.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit