My first test this season

JohnN

Jun 24, 2012
Howell, NJ
Well, the pool is still covered and closed, but I decided to test my water.
FC - 4 (pretty good, since I didn't add bleach all winter)
CC - 0
pH - 7.4
TA - 50
CH - 30 (vinyl, so I don't care)
CYA - ?30
I should mention that during the winter, I pump off the cover into the pool. I know rain water is acidic, so that is probably why the pH is low. That might also explain the low TA. I will have to get a sample of some (maybe it will be in the form of snow, by the looks of the forecast) and test pH and alkalinity. I remember about water temp effecting pH, but I forget if cold makes it higher or lower.

Looks like come opening time I'm going to need some borax and probably baking soda. Do you think it is the rain water that brought the TA down? I don't remember exact numbers, but I do know that everything was in range come closing time last year.

The pool is still going to be closed for a few weeks (maybe longer if spring never shows up) but I was just curious what the current levels were. I am actually surprised by the chlorine, because I haven't put any in all winter, and a lot of water has been replaced with chlorine free rain water. I am pretty happy with the current levels, but I may try to find a way to get some more chlorine in the pool. Ugh, I hate this snow and cold.

So I finally opened the pool. I didn't run all of the tests, just FC, CC, pH and TA.
FC-3
CC-0
pH<6.8
TA-50
I added some Borax (don't know how much, just whatever was left in the box). I am going to stock up on Borax, raise the pH to around 7.6-7.7 and start the shock process using some dichlor I have left over. I didn't test CH because last time it was 30, and I have a vinyl pool. I didn't test CYA because last time it was about 30, and today the sun was already down.

I checked it a few weeks ago (the first test of the season) and it was <30. I used up the dichlor I had left (2 pounds) which would raise the CYA by about 9. I tested CYA yesterday at about 6:30 and it was still <30. I have some 1" tabs floating around and 2 8" tabs in the auto chlorinator, for a total CYA increase of about 18. That means that if I am truly at 30, I will end around 50, which would be fine for me. However, if it is really still below 30 (which I think it is) I will end lower than 50.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.