New to forum - new test kit - results are in - please help..

Mar 12, 2012
Hello all - long time lurker - finally making the jump to BBB, but I am going to need some help.

Results

CYA - 100
FC - 4.5
CC - .5
TC - 5
Ph - 7.8
TA - 90
CH - 430

CYA and CH are high. Live in north texas and it is starting to warm up. I never had that high of CH before. Prolly always had crappy readings from original test kit from pool supplier. Water is very clear.

Do I need to drain some water? If so how much? I have 20.6k gallon pool.

I am going BBB so steer me the right way! Thanks!

Thanks

Re: New to forum - new test kit - results are in - please he

Welcome to TFP!

CYA being high is the most significant issue. Part of the problem is that the CYA test will report anything over 100 as if it was 100, so you don't really know just how high CYA really is. One approach is to do the test again with dilution: mix equal amounts of pool water and tap water, do the CYA test on that, and double the result. Doing the test that way loses a great deal of precision but it will give you a fairly good idea if you are close to 100, or more like 200+.

Without more information, I suggest starting by replacing between 1/3 and 1/2 of your water. That may or may not be enough, but it is a good start. Plus it is often safer to not drain the pool too far in any one water replacement.

What is the clarity of your water like? Also I don't see it in your signature but is this a SWG (salt water generator) or will you be using bleach? Either way I think you need to drain some water to get your CYA level down. You can either do it in small water drains or if water is not too much you can do it all at the same time. I think most here usually do it in small drains to make it a little easier. If you are using a non SWG pool I have had good luck with CYA in the 30-50 range, but I have had best luck around 40. I would lower your pH level to around 7.4. I usually take mine down to 7.2 but mine tends to drift up a little quicker. If your pH stays pretty balances you could shoot for around 7.4 to 7.5 but this will take time to see how your pH levels rise and fall.

Also take a look at pool school if you have not already.

With your CYA level now your FC is way too low. Look at the following link to see based off of your CYA level your target level is 12 for a non SWG pool.

pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

I am sure others will be along with some more advice. We also love to see pictures if you want to post them.

Edit: Jason beat me to it.

Thanks for the tip on my profile - adjusted to show chlorine.

My pH has always been stable. Is it a good idea to fill and drain at same time? I plan on taking 12-18" of water out tomorrow. I guess that would be a small percentage. Can I fill it and turn around and drain it right away? Or is it better to let new water addition "mix".

Is me CH a concern at 340? Guess it will come down when I take out water.

CH at 340 is at the high end of the normal range, and the water replacement will bring anyway, so not something to worry about in this situation.

Got a pump from HD - pumping 640 gallon a minute! How much do I take out?

Currently 1' removed from a 4' to 6.5' slope pool.... If I take out 2' is that to much?

It does not look like you ever confirmed just how high your CYA is (using the diluted test), so hard to say how much water you need to replace. Like MITS said, you will have to fill it back up, let it mix, and test again ... and hope you removed enough so you will not have to rent the pump again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Time to learn to use the poolcalculator.

Off the top of my head, a large jug of 6% (182 oz) or 8.25% (121 oz) should add about 4ppm.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

You will lose about 2-3ppm per day. So you will need to be adding bleach just about every day.

You probably should add another bottle so that you do not dip below 3ppm tomorrow.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.