Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Flex PVC or rigid PVC?

1. Back To Top    #1

Flex PVC or rigid PVC?

Hello all. I'm thinking about attempting to hard plumb my Intex Ultra frame pool after carefully studying many of the other Intex threads. Having absolutely no knowledge or experience with PVC, I must ask if there would be a downside to using flex PVC rather than rigid PVC. Seems to me that the flex PVC would be much easier to work with and would allow for a slight margin of error, which believe me I need given my clumsiness. I don't intend on keeping it up all year round. Everything will be stored in my garage in the winter. If I had to go with rigid, then I'd almost rather not do it for fear of not getting it perfect. I've read on other threads how to make the custom Intex adapters using the electrical conduit fittings and that seemed simple enough. Is there a reason not to use flex PVC over rigid PVC?
    Intex 18ft x 52in Ultra Frame Pool, hard plumbed w/skimmer and fountain
    Intex 4000 gph cartridge filter pump
    Intex SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Flex PVC or rigid PVC?

Rigid is better in several ways, and not really all that hard to work with, but the difference is small. Flex is fine as long as you are careful to make sure the joints get pushed in all the way when you are gluing them.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Flex is awesome stuff but when it's got water inside it's heavy and pulls downward on joins, I originally had flex but converted most of it to rigid.
    Flex is tough stuff, but I'd go with rigid.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Rigid holds up much better to UV rays.
    Josh Ulfers - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for all the advice. I'm still debating on whether or not to do it, partly because I'm also thinking about putting in a thru-the-wall skimmer at the same time, and there's no turning back if I try to do that. I guess it can't do any harm to just play around with some PVC without actually hooking it up. I suppose I have plenty of time to decide though, seeing as how there is still snow on the ground where I live.
    Intex 18ft x 52in Ultra Frame Pool, hard plumbed w/skimmer and fountain
    Intex 4000 gph cartridge filter pump
    Intex SWG