Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Pool Cover, does this one seem ok?

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Pool Cover, does this one seem ok?

I have been reading the few posts here on solar pool covers and the general consensus seems to be that it does not really matter which one you get as they will all fall apart in a few years, so might as well go cheap. I found these two covers and they are generally the same, and nice and cheap, I was hoping someone had some experience with either of them to help me determine which i should get. Thanks in advance!

http://www.amazon.com/Mil-Pool-Solar-Co ... pool+cover

http://www.amazon.com/16-Feet-32-Feet-R ... pool+cover

should I be looking for a clear one as opposed to a blue one? It seems the clear ones are a little more expensive but I do not know the pluses and munuses of each one.
    16 x 32 Vinyl IGP ~22000 G

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar Pool Cover, does this one seem ok?

Darker colored ones are "supposed" to help to heat up the pool more and I think any of them should help retain heat. 3 or 4 degrees tops maybe and your mileage may vary.

If anyone is getting the claimed "15 degrees" out of them..........I'll buy 3!~
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Actually I believe the more transparent covers are supposed to heat the pool water more, since the sun can reach the depths of the water. Black covers just heat by conduction the top layer of water. I would theorize that black covers would also break down quicker since they would naturally heat their own material more...but I do not have data to back that up.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I was hoping someone had some experience with either of them to help me determine which i should get.
    Midwest Canvas (the first link) makes a good quality cover.
    Josh Ulfers - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps