Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New liner & salt advise

1. Back To Top    #1

New liner & salt advise

After three years and a few posts here I realize it is time to change my pool liner and while I’m at it, I’m going to add a salt water system. I have had several bids around $5000.00 for everything (ready to swim).
    It is a standard 32’ x 16’ rectangle, 6’ deep.
    I guess I’m going to stick with a local pool store because I feel more comfortable having a place of business to refer to if problems arise. I had one bid from a “does it on the side” guy that was $1000.00 less, however I have to provide my on electrician with him.

So any advice or things to look for before I “take a plunge” ?
    18,000 gallons, vinyl IG, DE(filter area 60), 1HP Hayward

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New liner & salt advise

What SWG are you looking at getting? Just make sure it is sized for 1.5-3 times the size of the pool so you do not have to run the pump as much and the cell will last longer.

Add your pool details to you signature to make it easier to know what you are working with:
    pool-school/read_before_you_post
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok~Fixed Signature with information.

The system is a AQUA RITE TCELL 9.

4. Back To Top    #4

My pool is about the same size and I will be using a T-15. The T-9 should be large enough, but may require longer pump run times which can shorten the life of the cell.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

How long should you typically run the pump is the summer months?
    Seems as everyone has different answers.

6. Back To Top    #6

Everyone has a different answer because every pool is different, plus the common wisdom is just plain wrong on this. There is a great article in Pool School on how to figure out the ideal run time for your pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by lewis
    After three years and a few posts here I realize it is time to change my pool liner
    Did your liner only last 3 years? If yes, why?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

"Did your liner only last 3 years? If yes, why?"

No... I have lived in this house for three years, the liner is 12 years old.
    When I moved in the pool had been closed for several years. I got it straight, but last Septmeber it ripped just above the water line. So I duck taped it and closed it for the winter.

Now I just want to start fresh with a new liner & salt system.

9. Back To Top    #9

Makes sense, thanks for the answer.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

10. Back To Top    #10

I want to ask the pros on here if he has the correct pump and filter combination. A 1 HP pump and a 60 sq. inch DE filter? Is this a good combination for an 18,000 gallon pool?
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

11. Back To Top    #11

Sounds fine to me. That is basically what I have.

We would recommend at least 48 sqft DE filter and as long as there are no high flow rate needs like spa, water features, etc, then the 1 hp is fine.

What is your concern?
    Jason, TFP Moderator