$1,200 - $1,500 budget - what would you get?

QuiltinMom

Platinum Supporter
Mar 24, 2013
Central Iowa
Hello,

Just floated in to this forum (pardon the pun!! :-D ).

We have had a 15x48 metal frame Intex pool for 3 or 4 years. Each year we would drain it, dry it and put it away. When we got it out last spring we discovered the mice had found it and chewed a million holes in it. So we didn't have a pool set up last year and we completely missed it!!!

This year we are looking to get another pool. We have a budget of around $1,200 - $1,500, but are not sure what to get. Do we get another Intex, maybe an Intex Ultraframe or can we step up to a metal sided pool?

We are in Central Iowa and would love to be able to leave it up year round.

Here are the variables we need to decide.....

What brand? If we go with Intex, should we upgrade the pump and filter?

Round or Oval?

What size (the bigger the better)? We are on an acreage, so size is not an issue.

Salt generator or other chemicals? Our other pool had a pool system, but it needs to be replaced.

Don't care about landscaping or decking around it, so no expense there. We have electric in place. We can level the pool area ourselves.

Where is the best place to buy, on line or local?

We would love to find a used metal sided pool, but how do you know if what you are getting used is still in good condition or not. Or if you will have to replace the pump, filter, etc.

Also, we would love to have some sort of bench in the pool, that won't damage the pool for our 5 year old to be able to play on, but still be able to enjoy the pool with a life jacket on. Is there even such a thing? I have seen some fancy stairs that would possibly suit this need, but didn't know if there was another option.

What else do we need to consider?

THANKS for any help you can offer.

When it comes to bang for the buck it is hard to beat Wal-Mart or Sam's Club, the problem is they seem to stock mostly the smaller sub $500 pools, and tend to get a limited number of the larger $1,000 plus pools which often sell very fast (within minutes of arriving sometimes)

Welcome to tfp, QuiltinMom :wave:

I stepped up from intex and did the used pool route. I actually got mine for free off of craigslist in the fall when a guy was looking to just "get it out of the yard". You can search used agp in the google search box on the lower left of the page to get some idea of what to look for.

If you are a diyer, you should be able to do a used permanent agp for under your budget. On my pool, I think by the time I had it in, I was down about $1300 which included pipe fittings, electrical supplies, replacing the pump and liner, foam cove and floor foam, renting a bobcat to dig the deep end, and misc other stuff.

We live in Boise, ID.

We upgraded from our Intex 15'x48" a year ago. We opted for the Intex Ultra 16'x32'x52" couldn't be more pleased with our decision. It came with a 2650gph sand filter and Salt Water Generator. This pump is all you need for even this size of a pool. If you search, you should be able to get to your cost level. I think I remember paying about what you are asking for on your high side.

The only thing is, that there are usually extra's that are much wanted, if not needed. A Solar Cover (~120.00), Solar Reel (~100.00) and possibly a Solar heater (~120.00 for a 4'x20')...

Any way, we think that the Pool was a great investment. We left it up for the winter. Just made sure to drain the pump and put it inside, left the sand part outside... and drained the pool to the lowest hole, removed all the hoses from the pool and drained the heater, left all of that outside, inside a plastic rubbermaid pool box. The Pool turned into a giant block of ice. We had 3 weeks where the high was in the low double digits (~15'F) Just made sure the kids did not touch the pool, I was worried about the ice ripping the liner. It just recently thawed out and looks fine. Filled back up to normal level and everything works like last year, pump and all.

Good luck on whatever you get!

Sorry, forgot to add a few things.

We bought on-line and it was delivered (delivery was $10 special) to our driveway in 2 huge boxes. Online is always cheaper..

I have only had a Salt Water Generator. I say that is the way to go. I always checked the levels, and never had any PH, chlorine, etc.. problems in 4 years...

THANKS for the responses. We have been watching Craigslist for a used one and will continue to look. This is really the route I would like to take.

I didn't know we could leave an Intex pool up in the freezing temperatures. Maybe just the Ultraframe ones?

Any advice on round or rectangle? Is there truly more swimming room in the round ones? Does the pump and filter work better in a round one so you don't have dead spots?

Any opinion on a Saltwater system or just regular pool chemicals? I have seen something mentioned on here about BBB, but I haven't had a chance to review it yet. I will certainly be attending "Pool School" and learning all I can there.

THANKS for help and advice.

QuiltinMom said:
I didn't know we could leave an Intex pool up in the freezing temperatures. Maybe just the Ultraframe ones?
My neighbors leave their blue non ultra 16' up in the winter here in mn.

QuiltinMom said:
Any advice on round or rectangle? Is there truly more swimming room in the round ones? Does the pump and filter work better in a round one so you don't have dead spots?
I think what space you are trying to fit it in is most important. Building a deck for a round can be a little more challenging then oval (most permanent agps are oval not rectangular), but the install is more difficult on the oval.

QuiltinMom said:
Any opinion on a Saltwater system or just regular pool chemicals?
Both will work just fine. Both will still require routine testing. I like my saltwater chlorine generator (swg), since I do not have to lug bleach bottles around, and I can leave for a few days and still have chlorine being put in the pool by the swg. On the flip side, the swg has a high up front cost and the cells do need replacing every few years.

QuiltinMom said:
I will certainly be attending "Pool School" and learning all I can there.
:goodjob:

For me, I had the same budget it is Intex, The family had a 16x48 but last August we bought a 18x48 for this year do to the sale.
The best advice though is get a real pump and filter system for your intex pool, you will spend around $550
http://www.doheny.com/poolsupplies/Hayw ... stems.html

I'm also buying some sand for the base,
So with the cost of the pool, the pump, the sand base and maybe a better ladder you will be at your budget and have a very nice pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.