Lowering CYA with new plaster

JohnH

May 28, 2012
Flower Mound, TX
Lowering CYA with new plaster?

We have a new build, March 6,2013. We received our TF100 and performed all the test. Here is the results from today:
FC 2
CC .5
PH 8.4
TA 130
CYA 100
CH 370

First concentrating on the CYA level. We realized the guy who started up the pool used 11.75 lbs of conditioner (Cyanuric Acid) our pool is 14,000 gal. Which now we are aware was way to much!! So much for trusting the guy's knowledge! Our question is with this being a new build is it safe for the plaster if we drain 50-60% of our pool. The pool calculator is suggesting 60% water change, but again our concern is the plaster is NEW. Only 19 days!

Secondly we realize the PH is high. Once again acknowledging new plaster tends to run high. We are currently adding Muriatic Acid using the pool calculator information to bring it down to 7.5.

Thirdly regarding the Chlorine we will be adding Bleach in the morning once again using the pool calculator. Also using the CYA/Chlorine Chart, since the CYA is 100 the FC should be 7-12. We will be adding accordingly.

Our greatest concern is draining our 19 DAY OLD (YOUNG) pool a smart recommendation based on the above information?
Any Help is needed. Just trying to baby plaster. :?

Sorry for your situation. Seems like this happens often.

Replacing water is the best solution from a chemical aspect, but hopefully someone else can confirm it is fine for the new pool surface.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Re: Lowering CYA with new plaster?

Hi, John,

I would do EXACTLY what you are doing.......managing your pool water with a lot of common sense and knowledge of the critical parameters.

OnBalance might have a more knowledgeable plan then I would but I believe I would keep the pool full for at least the next 30 days and probably 60 days.

Keep your pH down and keep your FC in that 7-12 range. As the water warms up this season, the FC will be consumed a bit quicker so you'll need to pay attention.

As an alternative, you could siphon with a hose from the bottom of your pool at one end and simultaneously introduce fill water from the opposite end near the surface. If you can get those matched up, you can literally replace your entire pool water without it ever dropping an inch. The negative part of that is your parameters will be constantly, but slowly, changing so you have to test and monitor more frequently.

Re: Lowering CYA with new plaster?

I agree with duraleigh that it is safest to not lower the water level significantly during the first 30 days. However, I encourage you to do some drain at the same time you are filling style water replacement to get the CYA level down at least below 100, and preferably to 80 or less.

Just a note that you do not want the pump running while you are doing they drain/fill at the same time or you will end up mixing the water.

Another method is to put a tarp on the pool and drain from below and fill from the top to keep the water separate.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

JohnH,
The important thing is to NOT drain your water down below the tile line. That is what's most important right now. Wait for at least two months before doing so if needed.

The high CYA is not a critical concern on new plaster as long as you keep the CSI at a positive number, i.e. above 0.0. So do not worry about that. You can slowly lower the CYA to 80 ppm as the others have suggested, maybe it will rain soon and help you accomplish that. The water is cold (I assume) and the sanitizing issues aren't as critical until the temperatures rise and swimming starts.

Thanks everyone for your advice and encouragement. We are continuing to monitor the chemical levels and making the adjustments. We will not drain the water, thanks for sharing in our concerns regarding the new plaster. We are so thankful for the cold temp as we learn the chemistry of our new adventure.
We appreciate the this website!!!! :party:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.