Intermatic Mechanical Timer

Mar 10, 2013
Phoenix
Hello friends!

I've just purchased a house with a pool and it is the very first time that I have ever needed to run a pool myself. So it's kind of crazy. One of the biggest (most immediate) hurdles that I'm running into is that it has a Intermatic Mechanical Timer and I have no clue on how to run it. I've been trying to find information online but haven't been very successful. Can someone point me in the right direction of where to go in order to figure out how to use this thing? Thanks much!

They are pretty simple if you have the parts. So I am wondering if you have the on and off tabs that connect to the yellow timing ring? The ring turn and when the tabs get to the bottom they throw the switch. You can manually the switch at the bottom as well.

You can set the time by slightly pulling (edit to correct that you pull and not push, thanks Richard) on the ring and turning it.

Does it seem to be keeping time?

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

On my intermatic, you pull out on the yellow clock face to rotate it to the correct time. Then you just loosen the knurled screws and slide the dogs to when you want it on and off and screw them down at the appropriate time. I bought a second set of dogs at the local mom-n-pop ace hardware so I can run it twice during the day.

Look for a model number and download the instructions here: http://www.intermatic.com/ProductResour ... ation.aspx

I've had several on our hot water heaters over the years, and one on our former hot tub. I find that when they get old, they run slow. The one on our water heater now is nothing more than a junction box, I disabled the one on the old hot tub.

I have found that they tend to run longer if they are kept running all the time - i.e. over the winter, I leave the timer itself powered up and running. A little WD40 for lubrication also helps. I also bought a 2nd set of dogs for mine for the same reason.... but for versatility - there is nothing like the electronic timers.

Thanks everyone! I think I have it mostly figured out with your help. Would it be smart to run the pump twice for shorter periods of time or does running it once for a longer period of time work? I appreciate the feedback!

stubbus said:
Thanks everyone! I think I have it mostly figured out with your help. Would it be smart to run the pump twice for shorter periods of time or does running it once for a longer period of time work? I appreciate the feedback!
It doesn't really matter when you run it.

Since most of my testing and dosing in the summer happens after work, I had it set to run then, since it needs to be well mixed before and after that anyway, plus a short while in the heat of the day to keep things well stirred up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.