Mar 23, 2013
I'm looking to get a new vinyl lined pool. Target price around 25,000

So far I've got pricing and component breakdown. What should I look for for energy efficiency. I know certain pumps, plumbing size etc... All of this really matters to keep cost down. What does everyone recommend.

Here is what i have received from one contractor.

18x36 inground pool kit/liner/installation (2' Radius)
5' concrete pool deck(3 sides,8' in deep end for diving board)
Diving Board
Tanning Ledge
4 return lines/fittings
whide mouth skimmer
Rope float kit with anchors
LED pool light
1hp Hayward Super Pump
Hayward DE3620 Filter System
3 tread ladder
center mount handrail
8' step-twin seat
36''x48'' equipment pad
Smartpool NC52 Robotic Pool Cleaner
Hayward Aqua-rite Salt System

Total pool package installed $22,200 + tax

It the pool kit composite, steel, wood? Where are you located?
Does the price include:
Building permits, Digging hole, removing/haul off dirt, regrade yard, electric run to equipment pad, water, cantaliever coping, bonding all metal, salt, fencing as required ?
I'm sure there are other things I'm forgetting.

A state and nearby city would be more helpful than Stevens County.

By far, the energy efficiency will be affected more by your knowledgeable operation of the equipment than anything else. It's not like one brand of pump uses triple the amount of energy as another equivalent. Running your pump too often is the real killer on efficiency.

I would suggest a 1hp 2-speed pump for that size pool.

In Georgia, you'll be in pool season soon so you have a lot of homework to do fairly soon.

Have you thought about what you want? Not all that many pools have deep diving ends these days. Do you want that? What about shape and size?

Your budget seems realistic but you probably need to tell us a bit more about how you intend to use it. 20 kids at a time? Then a larger shallow area is a good idea to give them room to spread out. Etc, etc.

Again, the energy efficiency will come from your knowledge of managing the pool. 2" pipe sizing is helpful on that size pool but 1.5" would not be a deal breaker.

Lots of choices for filters. Most importantly select a filter who's gpm rating exceeds the pumps gpm by a bit (say 25%). Good filtration is important and having a filter too small causes some headaches.

YOu have to decide how you want to sanitize your pool. Virtually everyone here is encouraged to use chlorine only pools but you can manually chlorinate them or get and SWG that is noticeably more convenient but will cost you more up front. Avoid any alternative sanitizers.

You think it's just the wife, child and yourself. Amazing how many friends you end up having with a pool. Just like and RV or Jetskis- soon you will have many folks wanting to enjoy the fun.
Read pool school (top of the page) there are some good articles about how to choose what you need/want. Look at some of the YouTube videos of pools being built as well as the finished products for your inspiration.
I know money is always a concern but get the most you can afford as you build. It get expensive fast after the pool is built to try and add things like jets, lighting, features.. The time to install extra plumbing and electric as well as speaker wire runs is when it's being built.
I spent a year researching and about 6 months planning and still wish I would have added a extra plumbing run and another electric outlet for landscaping.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One more thing, if you plan to install a diving board, make sure your home owners insurance will cover it, many / most will not these days. Even though I have one I don't think diving boards are generally a good idea in typical residential size pools, the pools are almost always too shallow and also too short to allow for safe diving, particularly by those that don't know the limitations of the particular pool, it is not just depth by the diving board when someone makes a running dive and hits the water 10 feet out from the board.

I can tell you from many years experience that if you do have a diving board you will almost certainly have diving board related injuries, ranging from kids running into and tripping on it, people hitting the board while diving resulting in bruises or even broken bones, then comes all the potential for injury after hitting the water..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.