Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: inground pump help

1. Back To Top    #1

inground pump help

I apoligize if this is a stupid question in advance but I need some help.

I have an 18 x 36 inground pool, Heldor I think, and it's about 24k gallons by my estimation. It came with the house so I don't know alot about it. Anyway it was installed I think in the mid 90s. It has a richardson industries EZ Flo pump rated at 3/4 hp. 1.5 inch pipes and I don't see any reducers anyplace so I assume all the piping is that diameter from the original install. Last year the pump was very loud and I think it's on the way out. A 2 speed pump sounds like it would be nice but there aren't many 3/4 hp 2 speeds and I keep seeing 2 inch piping.

Does a 2 speed pump make sense if it's just 3/4 hp? Also I see higher rated pumps mentioned alot, is my pump under sized? I normally don't run the pump much but last year I did run it more then normal. Years past it just ran when in use, vacuuming, or with chemical additions. Last year I ran it more often.

So if you were going to replace this pump what would you go with? I'm in Maine, so electricity isn't as bad as CA and the pool is open April to Oct. No heaters or anything else. Just the sand filter. So it's not like I need alot of HP to run stuff.
    24,000 18 x 36 IG vinyl. Hayward S-244T sand filter( up to 52 GPM flow rate) w/ EZ Flo 3/4 HP 1.0 SF

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: inground pump help

Quote Originally Posted by Bortass
    Does a 2 speed pump make sense if it's just 3/4 hp?
    Yes, a 3/4 hp 2 speed would be a great choice for your described situation. However, if your pump electrical feed is 230 volt, then I am only aware of 1 hp and up 2-speeds. What voltage is your pump?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

The pump housing says volts 115/230. The breaker for just the pump is a double ie it takes up two slots. Breaker itself looks to be 20 amps but the pump says 11/5.5.
    24,000 18 x 36 IG vinyl. Hayward S-244T sand filter( up to 52 GPM flow rate) w/ EZ Flo 3/4 HP 1.0 SF

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds like it is 230, so the smallest 2-speed pump that you can get afaik is the pentair superflo 1 hp 2-speed model SF-N2-1A (product code 340042).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, any concerns with replacing a 3/4 hp pump with a 1 hp pump?

6. Back To Top    #6

Since you will most likely run most of the time on low, no. On high the superflo draws slightly more current then you current pump (6.0 amps verses 5.5 amps) but the flow rate should still be fine.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thinking about this a little more, you could consider just upgrading the motor to a 2-speed.

Also, after looking at your pump brand it appears it might be a re-labeled hayward super II pump. It looks like hayward makes a 1.5 hp uprated 2-speed super II (SP3010X152AZ) [s:3lno9iau]that appears equivalent to the 3/4 hp full rated single speed[/s:3lno9iau]. It might allow you to replace without changing any pipe.

Edit: see my following post

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the help. The pump itself has a union on the input side and it has flexible pvc from pump to the filter, so piping should not be hard. That will be handy if I just replace the motor as well. Everything is in a shed and I don't have alot of clearance behind the pump, so I'm not sure if I have the room to remove the motor or not.

9. Back To Top    #9

Correction: the super II pump I listed appears to be equivalent to a 1 hp full rated not 3/4 hp full rated. Do you have a model number on your existing pump (not just the motor model number)?

10. Back To Top    #10

The metal plate on the pump housing has 3105X7 with a serial number under that.