Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What should I add, while I wait for SWG, New Start up..

1. Back To Top    #1

What should I add, while I wait for SWG, New Start up..

They just finished the construction of my pool last weekend, with a fresh fill from the hose. It is a pebble finish, so they acid washed on the second day before the fill. After the fill, they added two gallons of Acid and told me to run the pumps twice a day, and to brush three times a day. On Wednesday I added soda ash to bring the PH back in check, since it was very low. On Friday, I was told to add two gallons of Chlorine, and to wait until Monday when the PB sends over his tech to help me to balance the water and to go over all the pool functions.

Today, I ran the first series of tests with my TF-100 kit and speed stir. What I basically need to know is, what should I do for the next few weeks, while I wait for the plaster cures, so I can start my SWCG.

PH = 7.6
    FC = 11ppm
    CC = 0
    TC = 11ppm
    TA = 60
    CH = 270
    CYA = 0

I've only used Soda Ash, Liquid Chlorine and Muriatic Acid. I have a large tub of conditioner for CYA
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What should I add, while I wait for SWG, New Start up..

It is best to not add salt for 30 days, so you will need to use bleach for the first month.

You certainly need to get some CYA in the water (30-50ppm) but some installers seem to think it should not be added right away.

Just make sure the FC stays above 2ppm until you can confirm if you can go ahead and add the CYA. I would not adjust anything else as your numbers are fine. I would also not let them raise the TA much if at all since you will want it low when you start the SWG.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

It is often nice to use trichlor for the first month. It adds chlorine and CYA gradually and also lowers the PH, all of which are desirable during a fresh plaster startup.

PH, TA, and CH are all going to tend to rise for the first weeks, PH especially quickly. The PH will continue to rise more slowly for up to a year.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Does this seem normal?

I added 2 gallons of Liquid Chlorine (pool store type 12%) on Friday after work. On Saturday morning it tested at 11ppm. This morning, Chlorine was low enough where it didn't register on the OTO test.

I added another 1.5 quarts and left it alone until tomorrow when the PB comes over to add conditioner (CYA). I would just add it myself, but I don't want to do things that mess with the warranty. After he leaves tomorrow, I'll be a 100% on my own. Then I can add whatever I want or what is suggested by using the TFP methods.

Also, I sure can't wait until I can get the salt going. Having the chemistry jump around so much is a lot of work.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

Your CYA level is really low, so you lose chlorine very quickly. The chlorine level won't fall nearly as quickly once the CYA level comes up.

I'm really confused about why they would recommend adding 2 gallons of chlorine. Chlorine should come up slowly and gradually during the first several days after fresh plaster is applied, not giant spikes like that.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School