Suction side issue?

Mar 23, 2013
I'm new to the forums and after searching, I am still unable to troubleshoot my problem.

I can't seem to get my pool vacuum working to what it was a few weeks ago. When I have the water feature on, I get a 15psi and the vacuum doesn't move at all (tiny vibrations in the hose). When the water feature is turned off, I get a 20psi and the vacuum begins sucking, but very little. I don't see any air bubbles in the return side.

I found a leak to my water feature and have fixed that issue. I have looked at and replaced all the o rings (vacuum leaf basket, leaf basket and pump). I also looked at the impeller and it didn't look like there were any obstructions.

Any other thoughts for helping me troubleshoot this issue? The pump is older (5+ years) and the sand in the filter hasn't been replaced in a few years either (5 years).

Thanks and sincerely!
Newbie! :)

Welcome to TFP!

What kind of pool cleaner do you have? Especially, is it a suction side cleaner, pressure side cleaner, or does it run off of a booster pump? Also, could you tell use a bit more about your pool? How many skimmers, how many returns, main drain or not, etc?

Had the cleaner worked at one point?

Is the filter pressure higher or lower than when it was working?

Have you tried cleaning the filter?

The suction line isn't clogged if you have 20psi. It sounds like the diaphragm has a rip in it. There is a yellow or white rubber piece inside of the vacuum. You need to disassemble the vacuum. This is incredibly simple. There is just a few things to unscrew by hand.

Yeah, the cleaner had been working. I haven't cleaned the filter...plenty of backwashing, but haven't cleaned the filter.

You think it's the diaphragm? That would be great. I took the vaccuum apart last week and didn't notice anything, however, my pool sees plenty of debris, so it is possible.

make sure when you check the diaphgram, that you check underneath the plastic ring that is around the base. It is very common for there to be a rip there. What does the filter pressure run at when everything is working fine? Does the vacuum move when you are backwashing? Does water come out while your backwashing?

I checked the diaphragm tonight and it is ripped. Hopefully this well help my issue. When everything is working my psi is between 15 - 20. Water does come out when I backwash and I can't recall if the vacuum confronts to work. I believe it does.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.