Sider-Proof FF-PR Roll On Plaster

I was looking at that option as well. Seems hard to find some good information about it. It certainly doesn't look like a product a typical pool plaster company would offer. If you find out any more information please pass it along.

I am considering this option and out of 5 companies in Albany, GA area, only one didn't offer it. The franchise outfit American Swimming Pool (ASP) offers it for about $1400 less than a full re-plaster for a 40X20 pool.

We used Sider-Crete Pool Plaster on our pool. It worked out great. Works just as advertised. Great support from company. They are pros. I'm am a DIY guy, but paid a couple of traditional stucco pros to help me get a good finish.

We are very pleased with the product and love the finish. We saved a bundle and I mean a bundle. We had a quote from a Midwest pool company to plaster the 20' x 40' sports pool for $20K+. We applied the Sider-Crete and Pool Jewelz pool tile for about $4K.

This is an ICF Pool, so part of the $4K was for a base coat and prep. A replaster or a finish on a traditional pool would likely be much less than the $4k we spent.

DBfan187 said:
this stuff is real, I have customers who have used it on their own pools with great results

Could you give me any more info - where the pools you know about are located, how long ago was the product used...? Anything would be useful.

There are some things that make me suspicious about this company:
1) there is almost no information online about a product that appears to have been available for the last 5 years
2) there was one youtube video on it, and it appears to be a legit diy project, yet it is only pictures and text
3) the only other reference I could find, other than this thread, were complaints found here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/SIDER...-NO-POOL-BUILDERS-HERE-HAVE-HERD-OF-TH-718305
4) all of the other comments on this thread (besides yours) were made by people who have made a single post on TFP
5) no pricing information available online
6) when I call to find a local distributor, I can't speak to someone right away. They want my phone number. The person who answers the phone can't give pricing information and doesn't think there is a local distributor in Dallas. I have a hard time believing that there wouldn't be a local distributor in such a big pool market, especially for such a heavy product. It can't be economical to ship on a project by project basis.

After talking to Alex at Sider-crete, I can answer some of the questions I posed above:
1) its sold in bags that cover about 70 sq ft, at a cost of about $1.40 shipped to Dallas (I assume its shipped from GA). For my pool/spa, it will cost about $1200. I would guestimate that to be about a third of the cost of having it done. I'll also need to acid wash my pool, so that will cost a little more.
2) They don't sell through distributors, since it would cost about the same after the mark up. Of course, it would be nice to talk to someone independent who has sold it locally.
3) It takes about 3-4 days transit (to Dallas).

I'll probably give it a shot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just to update, the sider-crete arrived yesterday. One bag had a small hole and lost about half of its contents. Sider-crete is sending a pail to make up the difference by UPS. Preparation is taking longer than I expected, mostly because I had let my pool go green. I have now power washed, acid washed, TSP (neutralizes the acid) and power washed again. Tiles and outlets are now taped. I'll start plastering tomorrow at 6AM. That gives me about 4 hours of reasonably cool weather to work in.

The instructions and video that come with the kit are the same as you can find online. A more comprehensive video would be nice. The supplied video doesn't really show details, such as how to do steps and spas, or show a strategy for starting at one end and getting to the other. That would be helpful.

I'm still working on the project, but it should be done tomorrow. All that's left is about half of the bottom floor.

First let me say that I have been doing this myself for the most part, and my daughter started helping the other day keeping the tools clean. But is definitely is not optimal to run a one man show, and I was warned about this. You really need three people - one to apply the plaster with a roller, one to smooth with the squeegie (magic trowel) as soon as it is applied and one to mix batches as needed. Its probably good for the mixer and applier to switch periodically, because applying the material is tedious. Because its just me, and because it gets too hot in Texas after 10 AM, the most I applied on one day was 3 bags (about 400 sq. feet).

The people at Sider-Crete couldn't be nicer or more helpful. That being said, its probably not the product for everyone. I consider myself fairly handy, although maybe not so much at applying plaster at this scale. I would consider my job just acceptable. Its not the fault of the product, but the goal was to save money and I didn't want to pay two people to help. I don't really know what the cost would be with additional labor - it probably would be about 20 man-hours for my 800 sq. ft. pool.

The good things:
1) My pool is plastered for a total cost of about $1500 - 1600. I'm not counting the costs of things that I'll be using again (like the drill for mixing), but I am counting rental of a power washer and pump for two days, cleaning chemicals, rollers, tape, buckets, sponges. The plaster cost around $1200 delivered.
2) It looks pretty good, not great. I'll have a better idea in about 3 days when it is filled up.
3) The plaster lasts 7 - 10 years "with proper maintenance" (keeping chemicals in check).
4) I got the best exercise of my last 5 years.

The bad things:
1) It is not easy to apply - it takes a lot of strength and stamina, and it gets all over everything. I'll be cleaning plaster off tile and bricks for some time.
2) Application for one person is very time challenging - you have about 30 minutes to apply a five gallon bucket. Things like stairs and corners slow you down considerably.
3) Its very easy to miss spots and if you make a mistake, it can be hard to correct once the plaster has started to set.

I'm glad it did it, but I can't imagine that I'll be giving it another try when I'm 66. If you have access to free labor, that would be ideal.

Transy416 said:
So it sounds like that as long as one works in smalls areas, it is doable by one person. Any issue with blending new plaster to already dried plaster the next day, or even the same day?
They suggest 24 hour drying time. If you ask them, there will be a line if you blend one days work over another, but I don't think it would be very noticeable. Even if you do the entire pool in a day, however, there will be times when you need to blend in over previously done work.

Its doable by one person, as long as you aren't expecting perfectly smooth. If you want perfectly smooth, one needs to be rolling while another is smoothing. It starts to set pretty fast. Of course, I'm doing it at the hottest time of the year (although I've been starting at 6AM)

good intel awl57, especially that 30 min time hack on a 5 gal bucket once mixed. Did you do the two coats as recommended? Allowing the 24 hr in between.
Yes you are a trooper to tackle alone, I will incorporate my two sons, since like TX, FL has very similar weather, and early morning start times.
Any sqeegee will do, or do I need their brand?(magic trowel)
Thanks

I did two coats - since I wasn't getting the entire pool done in a day, the drying time was more like 48-72 hours. But 24 will be plenty. I don't think you'd be happy with one unless you were incredibly particular - there are bound to be thin spots in the first coat. Because I have a small pool with a lot of curves and corners, I used only the small magic trowel. I don't think there is anything magic to it - but if you use something else and don't get the results you want, you're kind of hosed. In a lot of places I used a grouting sponge, even on flat surfaces. Correcting mistakes with a sponge is a lot easier than correcting mistakes with a trowel. I also bought a few plastic trowels (credit card sized). The are useful in tight spaces.

If you are planning on doing this, I have a couple of tips:
1) I used the "Better" brand of roller from Home Depot. I bought both 1/2 and 3/4" nap, and I didn't find one to be better than the other.
2) I'd get a pail for each bag. The cost less than $3 at Home Depot.
3) If you don't have a 7.8A Dewalt low speed drill ($99 at Home Depot), Harbor Freight has a similar drill for $50 (on sale now). Worked fine for me.

Thank you that was a question I left out,
1. 1/2 or 3/4 nap roller.
2. pail for each bag? I have to order 14 kits(ie. 14 bags)
3. no worries on drills or any tools for that matter, Thanks for all this feedback awl57, I will be placing order this week for delivery next week, right in time for hurricane:) Will keep you guys posted.

If you have a three person crew, someone probably can clean out the pail once its finished, so you would only need two (plus a fresh water pail for cleaning the smoothing tools). I was told that I could remix in the same pail (i.e., with the leftover plaster) a couple of times, but I wouldn't do it. Any clumping in the plaster mix is your mortal enemy. Its just not worth $3 for another pail.

Good luck!

Reactions: TahoeBlue

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.