Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help figuring pool size? Thanks!

1. Back To Top    #1

Help figuring pool size? Thanks!

Linen so kindly suggested that y'all could help me figure the size of my new-to-me-25 year old pool. I will be having it refinished soon, so please pardon my blue paint and the need for lots of work on the landscape around the pool area. The deep end is about about 9 feet at the spot where the drain used to be (deepest point). The shallow end is 3 ish. The circumference is roughly 96 feet. I took this picture from the top of the retaining wall and drew lines on it where I measured.

The green line is the length of pool at longest point. It is 33.5 feet.
    The yellow line is shallow end width of 15.5 feet.
    The orange line is the widest point 16.5 feet.
    The red line is the deep end and it is 12 feet.

If there is anything else that y'all would need in order to figure this out, please let me know. I truly appreciate the help as I am pretty lost right now.
    ~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster
    25 year old pool w a facelift in 2014

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help figuring pool size? Thanks!

With the sketchy dimensions we have, I come up with about 17000 gallons.

The best way to tell is by using Pool Calculator. Plug in 17000 gallons and see what effect a certain amount of chemical should have (It's down near the bottom), and see if it had that effect. Add or subtract 500 gallons depending on if you undershot or overshot and try again. Eventually, you will get it narrowed down. The good news is that the targets are a range, not precise to several decimal points. As an aside, you will need an accurate test kit to get the measurements so you can see the effects. Check out the article in Pool School comparing kits.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    With the sketchy dimensions we have, I come up with about 17000 gallons.

The best way to tell is by using Pool Calculator. Plug in 17000 gallons and see what effect a certain amount of chemical should have (It's down near the bottom), and see if it had that effect. Add or subtract 500 gallons depending on if you undershot or overshot and try again. Eventually, you will get it narrowed down. The good news is that the targets are a range, not precise to several decimal points. As an aside, you will need an accurate test kit to get the measurements so you can see the effects. Check out the article in Pool School comparing kits.
    Thank you so much. I had been debating buying a ColorQ, but guess I will be sticking with the titrates. I really appreciate the help. Sorry the measurements are kinda sketchy. Oddly shaped pools are hard to measure!
    ~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster
    25 year old pool w a facelift in 2014

4. Back To Top    #4

I think Richard is close. I came up with ~16000 gallons...but as he said these are just rough estimates.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.