Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 Run Time and the like...

1. Back To Top    #1

Austin, TX

IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 Run Time and the like...

Installed the new VS pump this morning. The LCD display is not working well, pentair will be sending a tech over to replace it. It was working long enough for me to program a basic routine. Set the speed to 1200 rpm which yields me about 20 gpm (i installed a flow meter a few years back). Watts used is around 190. Set to run 12 hours at this speed. 6am - 6pm.

I have turned off the solar for now so i can find the lowest speed I can run the pump and get the needed turns to keep it clean.

1) Watts used is per second, minute, hour?
    2) How many turns am i getting now?
    3) What is the recommend turns for a pool of my size?
    4) I am open to ideas to aid me in saving money on my electric bill!
    20k Gunite/Prism Blue-Pebblesheen, Pentair Tagelus TA-100D Sand Filter, Heliocol Solar Water Heater, 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls installed 2007, 3hp IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 installed 2013, Aquabot Turbo T4 RC and Stenner 45MHP10 w/The Liquidator container installed 2012.
    Antigua Spa by Artesian Spas: 325 gl, 52 jets, 6 hp 2 sp & 6 hp 1 sp, Circulation System 24 Hour Whisper Pure, Ozonator, LED digital lighting, The Artesian Pillowfall installed 2007.
    Retired: 2hp Pentair Whisperflow, Legend Platinum w/booster pump, PH Adjuster

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 Run Time and the like...

1) Yes. Watts is the amount of power used at a specific time. In your case 190 watts * 12 hours = 2.28 kW-hrs per day
    2) The number of turns does not matter. You just need to run long enough to keep your pool looking to your liking. You are moving 20 G/min * 60 min/hr* 12hr = 14,400 Gallons. So you are getting 14.4/20 = 72% of a turn ... not that it matters
    3) See #2
    4) Shorten your run time. You may find you get better skimming by have multiple shorter pump runs. Some also run on a higher speed for short periods to draw more into the skimmer. Also, I think it is found that ~1000 rpm is the most efficient for your pump.

PS: per the Forum Rules, please shorten your signature to 5 lines max ... Thanks
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!