Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water exercises?

1. Back To Top    #1

Water exercises?

So... I built our pool because DW and kiddo wanted a pool - I did not want a pool.

But now that we have it and the solar is working and it looks inviting I kinda like it! It's not big enough to swim laps but I do manage to get a minor amount of exercise in the water and this seems like it could be a nice way to get low impact exercise. On a quick google I'm finding lots of gadgets to help at all kinds of price points. For sure I don't need a $50 gizmo that will end up in the garage... but still this idea seems to have merit.

What exercise do you all do? What kind of equipment have you gotten (that you actually use). Any suggestions for me?
    7500 gal gunite/stonescapes, iAqualink RS-8, Jandy 2HP VS-Flopro, Jandy 200 sqft Cartridge filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Zodiac MX-8, Fafco solar panels
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Water exercises?

I think the trick is to just be active in the pool. You can probably burn lots of calories treading water for as long as you can but that is very boring. On the other hand if you were playing volley ball or swim tag you'd be burning calories as well without the boredom.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

3. Back To Top    #3

My wife likes to use some foam dumb bells and some strap on hand paddles for resistance---both by speedo. Cheaper even........she spends a lot of time just jogging in place too.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

I use Aqua Jogger & pool noodles for exercise when the pool is open. I feel so much better when I exercise regularly and I dislike going to gyms so the pool is it!
    16k 17X33 IG Vinyl(2000), Pentair Intellifo Variable Speed Pump(2006), Hayward Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG w/T9 cell(repl 7/2011), Hayward Natl Gas Heater, TF100 w/magnetic stirrer

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

We get together with friends and do water arobics in our pool at least once a week. About a 45 min workout paced to music. We use the foam dumbbells and noodles for some of our routines.

We do have the advantage of an experienced instructor, but you can just do a bit of online research and come up with a good workout routine.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I like the idea of a swim leash... I'm wondering if I'd like the actual thing as much as I like the idea though.
    (like I said... the pool is too small for laps)
    7500 gal gunite/stonescapes, iAqualink RS-8, Jandy 2HP VS-Flopro, Jandy 200 sqft Cartridge filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Zodiac MX-8, Fafco solar panels
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

7. Back To Top    #7

I purchased the Home Swimmer:

http://www.homeswimmer.com

It seems to be of good quality but it's not like doing laps and takes some getting used to the waistband. Also, it is definitely more difficult than doing laps but it does give one a good workout.

Gary R.
    18 X 32 Oval Inground Gunite Pool 20,000 Gallons Epoxy Painted in 2012
    Tagelus Sand Filter TA 60 D/TA 60-Hayward Super Pumps 1 H.P.
    Ray-Pac Heater 266,000 BTU, KLeen Machine Pool Cleaner
    Solar Cover-Rocky's Pool Cover Reel-Intermatic T104R Timer
    TF-100 Test Kit-PoolSkim Skimmer

8. Back To Top    #8

The Home Swimmer looks interesting, but I don't understand why you need the pole. It seems like they should have a base version with a bungy cord that you could tie / clamp to a pool ladder or diving board, etc.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~