Help! My PH is low

May 1, 2008
Gardner, Kansas
We just opened the pool and the PH is reading 6.8 and no chlorine. This is only the second summer for the pool and I didn't have this problem last summer. It is an L-shaped 40,000 gallon pool. I am taking a sample to the pool store but how many chemicals am I gonna need and the kids want to know how long til they can swim??

Borax can be used to raise the PH. I buy it at WalMart in the laundry isle. It is plan 20 Mule Team Borax.

You should get your water tested and post a complete set of numbers, then we can help you more.

I would suggest you get the water tested, post them, then go buy what you need.

Additionally you'll want to get a good testkit. The TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006 are good kits.

P.S. - Welcome to the forum, and ask lots of questions. Pictures are always nice too. :)

Whenever posting balance questions always post numbers....numbers....numbers. This always help the experts give you the most knowledgable advice possible. A good test kit is worth its weight in gold but if you don't have one yet get them done at a pool store without buying any chemicals. Ask lots of questions and I'm sure TFP can help you get your pool sparkling :-D

shelton236 said:
Okay, I am back from the pool store.

Here are the numbers

TDS 600
CYA 70
Total Chlorine 0
Free Chlorine 0
PH 6.5
Total Alkalinity 50
Adj total Alk 29
Total Hardness 200

Your pH is to low and must be brought up to 7.2 - 7.6 with 20 mule team borax.....sooner rather than later.

Put some bleach (chlorine) in your pool. Start with three large jugs. How does your water look now? That'll determine the answer to how long before the kids can swim.

Welcome to the forum.

If you have been using trichlor tablets it is easy to get into this kind of situation. Trichlor is acidic and it will lower the TA and PH steadily. You need to be constantly raising PH and occasionally raising TA to compensate.

Trichlor also raises the CYA level. Eventually CYA gets too high and you start to have problems. You are already at 70, and 80 is the highest you should ever let CYA get. Fairly soon you will either need to stop using trichlor or replace a lot of your water to get the CYA level down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.