Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question for my personal pool....

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Question for my personal pool....

I am about to replace the liner in my personal pool. That is easy enough, but my conundrum is this:

Since I bought this house (with the pool), the "light" (use the term loosely) has not functioned. I hate it. It is a Pentair Aqualumin 2 (It may be a 1). Immediately I replaced the bulb, and that worked for 2 weeks, and then the seal around the lens failed, allowing water into the internals of the light. Needless to say, the light is now garbage, as I can only get a replacement for the whole light, and not just the rear, metal parts that I need (they are corroded).

I would rather not replace the light with the Aqualumin 3 due to this experience and the experience of some of my clients with this same light. This is a nicheless design light, so my options are, well, none.

I have come across the Savi Buddy light that only requires a 1.5" threaded retrun to install. I have talked to tech support at Savi, but they had no experience replacing an Aqualumin with the Buddy.

My question is:

Is there a way to retrofit a 1.5" return into the pool wall through the liner (while it is out) so that it meets up with my conduit so that I can install this light for the Aqulumin light?

No one seems to have tried this before. I do not want to bust up concrete to get behind the wall, so a regular, compression wall fitting will not work. There has to be a product out there to get this done, I just don't know about it!
    Science and Math Teacher
    Owner - SPS - part time pool biz
    18x36 IG Vinyl, 23000 Gallons with Jacuzzi (the bane of my existance) pumpworks
    Polaris 280 w/ PB4 booster

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Question for my personal pool....

You will have to dig up behind the wall even to put a savi light in your pool. They are water "cooled" and will have to be plumbed above the water level in the pool or you will have a leak.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

How can I plumb it above the water level, and still water cool it? Literature says that it needs 4" minimum BELOW the water line...
    Science and Math Teacher

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Light needs 4" below water, conduit has to end above water so it won't leak.
    Certified in Hydraulics

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

The conduit is there. There is a junction box in my diving board stand. I just need to know if there is a way to add a 1.5" return fitting without digging up behind the wall.
    Science and Math Teacher

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

No you will have to dig behind the wall to put in a water tight conduit to above water line from the wall fitting
    Certified in Hydraulics