Fiberglass pool under construction near San Antonio TX

Jan 24, 2013
Texas
I'm hoping to use this message board as basically a blog of my pool install so here goes.

Here is my backyard before the pool. I had to have the deck stairs reconfigured to make more room for the pool:

2013-03-15%2015.49.35.jpg

Construction started on 3/18, but the builder found out that there was an issue with the original location of the pool so it had to be moved. Here is the pool template laid out in the backyard in the final location.

2013-03-20%2010.50.30.jpg

Digging started on 3/20. I was super excited. Note the irrigation line that is being dug up. Thankfully, that would be the only one and it looks to be relatively easy to reroute the irrigation around the pool to the sprinkers along the back fence.

2013-03-20%2011.35.28.jpg

There was a lot of activity on today, 3/21. They started the concrete pad for the pump and they hauled in the crushed/washed limestone. Also, they continued digging and I believe they are almost done. Thankfully, they never did hit rock!

2013-03-21%2018.32.27.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
blakestretch said:
I agree the extra deck space will be nice and less grass to mow in a confined area!

Yes, the more I think about it, the more I realize its the right way to go, its just hard to see things go over budget considering that I already had to raise my "budget" 33% in the first place :)

Today should be an exciting day, I am hoping that the crane will be here to lift the pool shell over the house. Its kind of misty out today so I hope nothing happens to delay the work.

Here are a couple pictures of what the front yard looks like now after a few dozen trips back and forth with the Bobcat:

2013-03-22%2009.26.50.jpg

2013-03-22%2009.27.08.jpg

The pool has arrived! But it was not without some drama. They delivered the wrong pool at first. It was the wrong gelcoat color, sapphire blue instead of crystal blue, but the right one is here and ready to go!

2013-03-22%2015.29.27.jpg

Also, I found out that there was a snafu with the crane so we won't have one today. Instead, they are going to carry the pool like a briefcase between the houses. Sounds almost as precarious as dangling the pool over the house so I will definitely have pics of the process.

Okay, I think you're going to enjoy this. They are going to try and carry the pool into the back yard using the excavator, the only problem is there is only about 10 ft clearance between my house and my neighbors, lets see how it goes...

Here is the hole with the crushed limestone base.
2013-03-22%2016.53.19.jpg

Here comes the excavator to retrieve the pool... note how tight the fit is without having to carry a 29' pool.
2013-03-22%2017.07.01.jpg

Got the pool and headed to the back yard.
2013-03-22%2017.36.41.jpg

Its a tight fit!
2013-03-22%2017.45.17.jpg

Here is the view from the other side.
2013-03-22%2017.54.28.jpg

Looks like they're going to make it through!
2013-03-22%2018.02.31.jpg

My neighbors were a little surprised at their new above ground pool :-D
2013-03-22%2018.06.47.jpg

Okay, time to get the pool into MY backyard
2013-03-22%2018.30.04.jpg

Almost there...
2013-03-22%2018.30.46.jpg

Done! Kudos to my installer, that was amazing... the whole neighborhood was there in case something went awry, but Chandler pulled it off without a hitch!
2013-03-22%2018.34.05.jpg

Its ALWAYS good to have more decking! One can then move loungers around the pool ad lib, following or avoiding the sun as the day progresses. It also helps keep grass clippings out of the pool as you mow.
Nice to see another fiberglass pool go in. We love ours!

Wow! that was some fancy manuerving! amazing how they can do that. My dad has a fiberglass pool and it has lasted for years and is wonderful. I hope you like it. We are building gunite just so we can customize it to exactly how we want it, otherwise, FG would have been our option. So exciting! KIM

Texgirl said:
Wow! that was some fancy manuerving! amazing how they can do that. My dad has a fiberglass pool and it has lasted for years and is wonderful. I hope you like it. We are building gunite just so we can customize it to exactly how we want it, otherwise, FG would have been our option. So exciting! KIM

I was really impressed with the skill of my installer to fit that pool through there! That's good to hear about your Dad's pool is holding up well. I have a lot of confidence in this company so I think it will be great in the end. Our yard is so small that most of the customization will be done on the decking and retaining wall options. In fact, we are still discussing exactly which materials to use. We are looking at pavers as well as travertine. Perhaps pavers for the decking and retaining wall with travertine coping and wall caps, but we shall see. I think I'm pushing the builder a little beyond what they have typically been doing, but they seem to be open to expanding into some new design areas.

So did the guy in the excavator have a special made seat in the cab to accommodate his extra large testicular girth? Seriously though, how in the world did you stomach watching them bring that through the space - much less take photos! it looks great in the space, a perfect fit for your space! Keep the photos coming - it looks like you're going to have a great looking oasis!

You mentioned you may be going overbudget, does cutting the crane out of the bill help? :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.