Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My New Outdoor Helper

1. Back To Top    #1

My New Outdoor Helper

I recently got my Cookshack PG-500 pellet grill.

It has 5 distinct heat zones (1 direct grill on cast iron grates, a zone above that is about 25 degrees lower, then one to the top and right that is 50 degrees lower, and then one right next to the direct that is the same temp as the digital readout, lastly there is a warming drawer for things like buns and tortillas.

Here is a pic of a recent cook that I did where I was able to cook beans and brisket at the same time on this cooker.

PG-500, WSM, 20K Gal gun pool w/ Aqua Pure 1400 SWG, flagstone coping, gray plaster, DE Filter, 400K BTU nat gas heater and Polaris 280 cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My New Outdoor Helper

Yum. Looks great!

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm so jealous...we got another blizzard 3 days ago.
    That's an awesome unit!
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Well, that leaves little doubt where the next TFP barbecue will be held. With 45,000 members, you can expect a fairly large crowd......will you require RSVP's so you'll know how much beer to get?

What is the horsepower rating on that elegant beast? 10-15?

(Seriously, that is a great looking unit and the pics indicate you know how to use it...congratulations)
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I see that I am woefully behind in cooking technology...............but I loves my electric smoker!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

That some great looking que

What did you use for smoke?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the kind words everybody. I used hickory/oak blended pellets to cook the brisket.
    PG-500, WSM, 20K Gal gun pool w/ Aqua Pure 1400 SWG, flagstone coping, gray plaster, DE Filter, 400K BTU nat gas heater and Polaris 280 cleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

That is awesome!!! Good looking brisket too!

What goes in the drawers? Ash or grease? Never used a pellet pooper.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

9. Back To Top    #9

The drawer on the left is ash and the one of the right is a warming drawer (buns, bread, tortillas, etc.).

10. Back To Top    #10

Just noticed 385!? You must've been in a hurry! Do you always cook that hot?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

11. Back To Top    #11

That might have been from a burger cook. I do brisket on the pellet cooker around 200 F until I foil (with pellet cookers the lower the temp the more smoke). I then crank it up to 250 after I foil to get the cook done. This cooker will go up to 600 F to put a nice sear on a steak (600 F where the probe is means the flame zone is actually closer to 900 F).

12. Back To Top    #12

[quote="texasbrew"This cooker will go up to 600 F to put a nice sear on a steak (600 F where the probe is means the flame zone is actually closer to 900 F).[/quote]Wow, that is a nice sear temp It would work great for the "reverse sear" technique...which happens to be my newer preferred method of grilling steak.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

13. Back To Top    #13

That is mine as well. It keeps me from way undershooting or overshooting my target internal temp for med rare steak and still get a nice crust on the outside.

14. Back To Top    #14

Nice Grill Texasbrew!
    ...wouldn't expect anything less from a fellow Texan
    Dave My Pool Build, ODK Build
    22X42 Gunite Freeform 23K Gal, 10X12 Spa
    Diamond-Brite midnight blue, 1800sq. ft Kool Deck
    Pentair Easy-Touch 8, 2-2hp Pentair, 500lb Sand Filter, 400K btu Pentair heater

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

I'm getting by with a MES-40 electric smoker and an AMNPS pellet burner. Still have to use my old gas fired grill for high temps, MES only goes to to 275, but puts out great smoked Q.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

16. Back To Top    #16

Sweet! Wish I could cook 'em up like that!
    18,500g IG Pebbletec|Aqualink RS OneTouch w/PDA|CV460 150gpm @ 50psi|Jandy ePump JEP2.0|AutoPilot Pool Pilot Digital RC-42/SC-48 Cell| Dolphin Premier |Built in 2008

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

you guys make me soooooooo hungry lol