Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liner fit issue

1. Back To Top    #1

Liner fit issue

I'm new to liner replacement and just had a contractor replace mine which is rectangle shaped. I'm not sure what radius corners he specified to the liner company, but one corner has a good fit, but the other three are taut across the corner with about a 6" x 6" x 12" triangular space from the ground up to about a foot form the top. The pool is filled up and the top of the liner is staying in the coping at the corners. The temperature is in the 40's here in Virginia. The contractor is saying after the temperature warms the liner will relax and seat properly in each corner. Right now, it just looks like the liner doesn't fit correctly. My first thought is, that he could drain the pool down and heat stretch the liner in the corners. Does anyone have experience with this? Does anyone know if liners relax this much over a 30+ degree change in temperature?
    36,000 Gallon Concrete/Vinyl Lined In-Ground/Indoor
    Sta-Rite T-240bp Sand Filter/Pump
    Atmospheric 130A Heater
    Taylor K-2006
    In Michigan's Great Southwest!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Liner fit issue

Welcome to the forum. A pic would help but it sounds like your liner will not fit. If it is 3-5"" off the wall in the corner (s), I don't think warm weather will help. The water pressure would press a correct liner tight to the wall everywhere, regardless of temp.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Is it even a good idea to install when the temp is that cold? I'm no expert, of course, but it seems like it would be better to do it in warmer temperatures.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

4. Back To Top    #4

The day the liner was installed, the temperatures were in the 60's. Now after the pool has been filled up, the temperature dropped into the 30/40's.
    Atmospheric 130A Heater
    Taylor K-2006

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

The water pressure would press a correct liner tight to the wall everywhere, regardless of temp.
    Dave S.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yeah, it doesn't fit. They need to get you one that does.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

7. Back To Top    #7

Here's one corner. [attachment=0:iyz294td]DSC04105 - Copy.JPG[/attachment:iyz294td]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Atmospheric 130A Heater
    Taylor K-2006

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

That is a 6" radius corner and that is somewhat the natute of the beast. We won't build a pool with aything shorter than a 2' radius corner since it will lay tight to the wall.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

YOur description of forming a triangle 6x6x12 off the wall is hard to find in the picture.

In fact, It's hard to tell it is off the wall at all. Do you have a pic that would better demonstrate what you are talking about?
    Dave S.

10. Back To Top    #10

I don't have a better picture. There's about 3 or 4 inche gap between the stretched liner and the hard wall behind it in three of the corners (not a perfect triangle, as you can see). If this is truly the nature of fitting a liner to a 6" radius corner, then my next concern is this going to affect how long the liner lasts. Obviously this could get punctured more easily with a void behind it. The previous liner eventually ripped in one of the corners (only 5 yr old). On another note, does heat stretching lead to rips and tears eventually?
    Atmospheric 130A Heater
    Taylor K-2006

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Yeah, even though it may not show up in a pic, 3-4 inches off the wall is CLEARLY a liner that doesn't fit and I would ask that it be replaced.

My corners have an 18" radius and they fit tight to the wall like a glove. Yours should to. It is not the nature of the beast and will have long term negative effects.....like the liner pulling out of the track.
    Dave S.

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

We have been building vinyl liner pools for 30 plus years. Hate to break it to you duraleigh but a 6" corner usually will not lay flat to the wall the way vinyl liners are made just does not make them fit. We custom fit every liner we install and I have yet to see a 6" liner work.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics