Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help! chemical levels and test reading

1. Back To Top    #1

Help! chemical levels and test reading

I have a 25,000 gallon pool and it is my first time maintaining a pool.
    A few questions,
    I have a Leslie's dpd test kit, and when im trying to test for Total Alkalinity, it says it should turn red when testing the alkalinity. But can never get it to turn red, it just turns pink..than darker pink. is my alkalinity just that high?
    And now, after doing a shock to my pool my FC level is pretty high. Here are my readings
    FC-6
    TC-6
    PH 7.3-7.4
    TA 180, that is when it turns light pink 250 when it turns pretty dark pink
    Hardness- 300
    CYA 32

I have been doing a lot of reading, but i don't know where to start. It would help if someone could point me in the right direction!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help! chemical levels and test reading

Welcome to TFP!!!

For most of the tests you add drops until the last drop no longer changes the color. So, you would not count the TA drop that did not change the color more pink/red.

Here are some better instructions:
    extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html

Also, I have 2 recommendations for you. Keep reading Pool School (button at the upper right of the page) to get a better understanding of the chemistry. You should also notice realize that what the manual and the pool stores tell you about what a "high" FC level is does not take the CYA into account. For a CYA of 30 pmm (how did you get 32?), the required level of FC to perform the shock PROCESS (read Pool School as this is not what you are doing) is to maintain a FC of 12ppm. That brings me to recommendation #2:

You need to add the FAS-DPD chlorine test to have a good test kit. Your kit can not measure the FC and CC accurately enough and will not go about 5ppm. Here is a link:
    http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlorine- ... t-p47.html

Most pool employees have no idea that this test even exists ... or they do not want you to know so they can keep selling you stuff you do not need.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

i got 32 from the pool store free water test to get the cya, I also have test strips and it shows up at 30 on them. but i try not to count on them because i have read they are fairly inaccurate.

4. Back To Top    #4

The pool stores seem to be no better at the CYA test than just a wild guess at times.

Which DPD test kit do you have? Must not be the one I though if you do not have the CYA test. What about the CH as well? Do you have that? If not, you may need to upgrade the whole thing.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

The hardness and CYA are both the results off some cheap HTH test strips I got from walmart, and also the results from the pool store that i took a sample to. Im going to buy a better kit today or soon. http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool-Ch ... 18547.html that is the test kit i have now.

6. Back To Top    #6

Please realize that you will not likely find the test kits we recommend locally and you will need to order it.

The Taylor K-2006 or the TF-100 are the kits we recommend. The TF-100 costs a bit more, but it has more of the reagent you actually need, comes with an 18 month warranty, and the seller (this forum owner), offers excellent customer service.

A link to the kits comparison can be found in my signature or in Pool School.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Yeah I will be ordering it online. I would rather not go to the pool store anymore than i have to. It seems like they are always just trying to sell me some crazy stuff.