Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing pool pipes

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing pool pipes

G'day!

We just bought a larger sand filter and are having a plumber modify the pipes to accommodate it.

My pool equipment is higher than the pool.

Does the following make sense?

I would like to have each section of pipe removable, basically using like a dozen unions?
    I would like to add non return valves before the pump inlet and on the SWG outlet, just in case I get an air leak somewhere later (it happened before)?
    I don't have a heater but should I factor in somehow adding one later, like a couple of tee fittings with valves after the SWG?
    Should I put a valve on the waste just in case I get a tiny leak from the filter (it happened before), are there valves that will stop low pressure water but if its accidentally closed when I do a backwash it will open?

Thanks everyone.

Richard
    In-ground pebblecrete, 16000 gallon, sand filter, salt chlorinator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing pool pipes

1. Unions are not 100% reliable and I see no reason to have so many ... my pumps connects with unions and I did put some off the filter so that I can pull any piece of equipment off if needed. I guess I can not see the need for more than 5, and even that may would not see as needed.
    2. I do not understand what you are saying
    3. Just leave enough straight pipe that you could cut and add a Ts later if required
    4. No valve like that that I know of. If you have a leak out of the waste, then you should fix the multivalve anyway or you may end up passing dirt back to the pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason!

For point 2, isn't that a check valve, it stops water (or air) flowing backwards:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Check_valve

For point 3, isn't that a 3-port Jandy valve:

http://www.poolplaza.com/pool-school/pl ... port.shtml

Richard

4. Back To Top    #4

2. Ah check-valve. Not usually a good idea on the suction side as it can result in entrapment problems. Also not sure why you would need it after the SWG. Sometimes they are needed between a heater and a SWG/chlorinator. Also good after the filter to prevent flow backward through the filter.

3. There are multiple ways to plumb in a heater, but again I would not do anything but ensure there is enough room to add the required Tees / valves at a later date.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks!