Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Levelling a Pool that is already installed

1. Back To Top    #1

Levelling a Pool that is already installed

Hi,

Last year, I installed an 18 foot round above ground pool in my backyard, complete with a new deck and everything. We tamped the ground, sand, and limestone as we should, levelled it all and thought we were on track. Once built and filled, however, it was slightly lower on one side (about 3-6 inches) than the other. However, it was filled and we used it anyway. Now that we have it drained for the winter, I would like some input from the "TFP-verse" regarding how I could level it this spring before I filled it.

I would like to avoid tearing it down and rebuilding it from the ground up if at all possible as it was a brand new pool when we put it in last year.

Any and all help, input, advice and criticisms will be helpful. I look forward to your help.

Thanks,
    King Stanley

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Levelling a Pool that is already installed

Is it a hard sided pool?

There's really no way to level the site correctly level the site with the pool still in place. You at least need to move it from the site.

3 to 6" is really too much to leave. It really needs to be within an inch.
    Is the deck on the high or low side?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

WOW!!! A laser transit would of gone a long way. Really needs to be taken down and releveled. When we build we are within a 1/4" plus or minus of one post.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

4. Back To Top    #4

Yea thats way too much out of level. I might even go as far to say it might not be safe. I can't for see any way of fixing it without taking it down. What did you use to compact the fill ?

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

You should never "fill" to level a pool. It should be on hard ground. Sorry to say, but you will have to take it down and re-dig to do it right.
    24' round above ground, 13500 gallons, vinyl liner, 18" Sand Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    You should never "fill" to level a pool. It should be on hard ground. Sorry to say, but you will have to take it down and re-dig to do it right.
    If you compact the proper material it will be on hard ground.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

Bottom line is that it has to be fixed, your in danger of a pool failure and that can be dangerous to people's lives or peoples property, if you have kids around the pool think what 8 or 9 thousand gallons of water coming at them will do.

Depending on what type of pool you have, hard wall or soft wall, something was not done right. The pool may be off level or perhaps one of your posts sank. If you provide more info people can help you trouble shoot.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

8. Back To Top    #8

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your input - to help and because someone asked, here is the link to the pool that I bought and installed: http://www.poolsuppliescanada.ca/evolut ... ckage.html

To answer the other questions:

- The deck is on the high side of the pool
    - we dug out and leveled (supposedly) the ground and used 3" of limestone and then 3 - 4" inches of brick sand for the base
    - each of the uprights/posts are secured to large round patio stones
    - we tamped it all with a gas-powered, walk behind tamper

Any other advice and/or recommendations from a good "pool guy" or company in the Greater Toronto/Oshawa/Whitby area who could fix this for a reasonable cost? Based on everyone's experience, how much would a full repair like this cost?

Thanks,
    King Stanley

This package came with every

9. Back To Top    #9

Welcome to tfp, King Stanley

That's a bummer

As others have said 3-6 inches (which is it?) is way too much.

It sounds like it was this way from the beginning? If so then you ground was likely compacted so now you will just need to dig out the high side.

Was this a diy build? If so, and now that you know the problem, could you fix it yourself? If you do, it is likely you can save your liner since it isn't very old, but you will want to keep it wet. One way to do this is to put it in a smaller portable pool while you do the leveling work.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

10. Back To Top    #10

Agreed that if you put it up yourself then you can fix it yourself and save some $, all that's really needed (by the sounds of it) is drain it, take it down, scrape the pool bottom to the side, re-level, re-do the bottom and then put it back up. Although not to trivialize the amount of work.
    It sounds like the site wasn't leveled. Can you explain how you leveled the site? Then we can help you fix it.

If the liner is only 1 year old it may still be salvageable, from what I've read here I believe the standard view is that a liner 1 year old can still be taken down and then re-used.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

11. Back To Top    #11

You might try what some of the Intex owners have done which is jack up the low side and add pavers under the post. Yours would need pavers under the rails as well. Since the Intexs have a top rail that people can jack against you can't do that but you might be able to put a lever under the post base and lift it enough to get a paver under it and the rails. I suspect though the wall would try to come out of the bottom rail.

Any way you go about it you got a lot of work ahead.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

12. Back To Top    #12

Personally I'd avoid the jacking, especially if it's 3-6" out.
    An Intex pool is soft side and has some give to it, a hard walled pool won't. I personally could envision alot of damage trying to jack it.
    It sounds like the pool isn't level.

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

then 3 - 4" inches of brick sand for the base
    Perhaps the sand has washed out.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

Can you post some pic's ? Honestly I think it's going to have to come down and start over. I know it's going to be a pain in the butt.

Jeff

15. Back To Top    #15

Definitely take it down! 3 inches is too much... 6 inches is extreme!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

16. Back To Top    #16

Take it down and start over rent a transit or use a rotating lazer level to level the area....remember cut the high side down to the low side......Mike
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all