Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polymer or Steel in Upstate NY

1. Back To Top    #1

Rochester, NY

Polymer or Steel in Upstate NY

I'm new to this site.
    I'm torn between the two, Polymer and Steel? One company (very large company here 160 pools a year) says Polymer, because it keeps in the heat and Steel rusts. Another company (One man owner, he's on site, does 30 pools a year) likes to use good old reliable steel, but will do Polymer if I choose. I feel that the one company that wants us to use Polymer is just trying to sell their "stock", and I feel in my gut I should stick to good old steel. Can anyone give me some good advise/review on ether product?

Thank you
    18' x 38' IG Vinyl 21K
    1.5 Hp Hayward pump
    Double main drain, 4 returns
    Rheem heater
    18' x 6' Sun ledge, Automatic Cover, Interfab Extreme Slide

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Polymer or Steel in Upstate NY

I don't think a definitive advantage of one over the other has ever been determined here on the forum. Lots of people have asked the question and there have been many answers but I don't think there is any clear "winner"
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP. I live in Dutchess county and there are plenty of 30+ year old steel pools around. Both will do just fine, but I would suggest going with the contractor you feel most comfortable with and the best references and warranty. I've seen one too many pools take all summer to get installed
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

We build polymer because it won't rust. Also the polymer that we use has a transferrable warranty. Not sure if steel can offer that. Polymer doesn't rot or degrade as steel will. We have taken brand new steel panels off the delivery truck that have had rust on them. Personally I would go with a polymer panel over steel.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics