Pump without cord?

afreil

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 22, 2013
Nashville, TN
Getting ready to order my pool and equipment. Just noticed the pump I had decided on - Pentair Dynamo 1hp/2spd - comes without a cord. Okay, maybe I am just clueless, but why would you want a pump without a cord? I can't find the same Pentair Dynamo with cord. Thinking about going with a Hayward Powerflo Matrix instead... because it has a cord. Maybe you guys can clue me in about the "no cord" pumps.

Most pool pumps come without a cord. A few do but most don't. A lot of 2-speed pumps come without a selector switch too.

If a cord and switch is important to you, the PowerFlo will be a good pump, if you decide to go that route.

Ok, I'm feeling stupid. So, if most pumps come without a cord, do they need to be hardwired by the electrician who I plan to have put a GFCI outlet at the pool site? I thought that outlet was for the pump plug. :?

It probably depends on the region you live in and the type of pool you have. Many pumps larger than about 3/4 HP can be connected to run either on 120V or on 240V therefore they tend to need to be hard wired, or at least wired for the appropriate type of outlet. Preference between hardwiring vs outlets likely depends on a number of factors, such a person with a pool in regions with extremely cold winter weather where it is common to store the pump inside during the winter would likely prefer an outlet, vs. someone in Florida with a 8-9 month swim season may prefer hard wiring, if nothing else to discourage petty theft....

Bama Rambler said:
Most pool pumps come without a cord. A few do but most don't. A lot of 2-speed pumps come without a selector switch too.

If a cord and switch is important to you, the PowerFlo will be a good pump, if you decide to go that route.

So can 115v pumps without cords have cords attached to them and then plugged in to a 115v GCFI outlet?

Pentair seems to make a really nice two speed pump without a chord and it would be nice not to have to hardwire the pump to our main panel.

The cost of doing that for a 220v variable speed pump would be more than the pump given the distance involved, cost of copper, etc ...

Philip

You can buy a cord at any electrical supply, like Home Depot or Grainger. They are frequently called a "whip". Be sure you get the correct connector for the pump body. If you took your new cord-less pump into the store, they could quickly set you up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You are talking a two speed pump? I didn't realize that.

You may need to direct wire the motor so you have the wires going to correct switches. It may require more wires (conductors) than a standard whip. You will need to determine the correct wiring for the pump your installing. I am not sure but if you are relying upon a toggle (Hi-off-low) on the motor, you may only need a whip but if you are using automation or two timers to control the low vs high speed run times, you may need a conduit and conductors.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.