Getting frustated with the reboots!

G

I am continuing to have a problem with the forum and firefox! I reboot when I click on the submit button! It doesn't happen all the time but when it starts I have to clear all the cookies for the site and clear my cache! This time everything was working and I was able to post then I answered a PM and that posted and went to anwer another post and I hit submit and REBOOT! Anyone have any ideas as to what is happening? I'm stumped. I am using IE to post this because I don't want to sit through another reboot tonight! This problem does not happen with IE or netscape! I suspect there is some code fragment that is either going into my cache or it's a cookie that is causing this. I have been clearing the cache and cookies in firefox daily now and that is getting to be a real pain!

What version of firefox are you using?

For some reason, I have been using IE7 when visiting this site, though I use Firefox most of the time. I am now posting this while in Firefox, so if it reboots, we know it is a problem with firefox and this forum.

Wish me luck!

Okay, no reboot for me when submitting that last post.

Has this always happened to you when visiting this forum? Does it happen when you visit any other forum?

What version of FF are you using? You could always try updating to the latest version or uninstalling FF and re-installing.

Are you running any anti-spyware stuff?

Perhaps you've picked up a spyware or bad code - Try using Spybot Search & Destroy to find any bad stuff.

Also, you might want to look into downloading a program called CCleaner (Crud Cleaner), which will get rid of a bunch of unneccessary junk in your registry and other things.

Buggsw said:
Okay, no reboot for me when submitting that last post.

Has this always happened to you when visiting this forum? Does it happen when you visit any other forum?
It only happens in this forum and with firefox 2.0.0.3. I use other phpbb boards (and non phpbb boards) and don't have the problem. Am running W2K SP4 Thr problem first started when the original host was upgrading and it's been intermittant ever since. Wonder if it might be one of the custom mods of the board or maybe one of the extensions I have in FF (I use a lot of them!)
What version of FF are you using? You could always try updating to the latest version or uninstalling FF and re-installing.

Are you running any anti-spyware stuff?
Running the full CA interenet security suite on this box. Also have spybot and adaware and run scans on a regular basis and my network is behind a hardware firewall and all unnecessary ports are closed.
Perhaps you've picked up a spyware or bad code - Try using Spybot Search & Destroy to find any bad stuff.
been there, done that
Also, you might want to look into downloading a program called CCleaner (Crud Cleaner), which will get rid of a bunch of unneccessary junk in your registry and other things.
The problem seems to be a windoze problem since it does not happen under 'nix or ecomstation 1.2 (os2) with firefox. It's just that the windoze box is the one I use, the others are either for experimantation or network servers (I'm an OS junkie!) . I use Sisoft Sandra to keep the registry clean or I do it manually (not afraid to go into the registry, used to do admin and hardware maintenance for a small ISP and we did have a few windoze boxes I had to keep running.) I am wondering if it could have anything to do with any MySQL code that might be used in phpbb?

BTW, I cleaned the cache and deleted the site cookies and it's working in FF again without rebooting....for now!

Edit: Dang! it did it again when I tried to edit this post! I'm back in IE again. will clear the cookies and cache in Ff and call it a night!

I'm using firefox 1.5.0.11, the only issue I'm experiencing is that I'll be logged in, go to reply to a thread (and when I look at teh top of the thread I'm NOT logged it) it kicks me to teh main page, where it says I'm logged in, at whcih point i have to log out, log in, return to thread and answer it, I think it happens every time I try to post to a second thread - meaning, I post fine once, then the next time I don't - weird!

Anyways, I'd be looking at something bigger as the problem with the reboots, Browsers should NOT reboot your PC - EVER!!!
It's possible you have some spyware/malware/virus causing this issue, but before you go and try to fix things, maybe an uninstall and reinstall of firefox is in order, don't just repair, it never really fixes any issues.

I have no trouble with FF 2.0.0.3 or FF 1.5.0.11 on XP. I'm certain that there are several visitors here using FF, so if this were server-centric, I would assume(!) that we'd have more trouble reports. Well, unless none of them can post :wink:

You may want to try starting Firefox in safe mode ("C:\...wherever...\firefox.exe" -safe-mode) and eliminate any plug-ins or extensions which may be causing problems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.