Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Potassium Peroxymonosulfate for clearing up pool water?

1. Back To Top    #1

Potassium Peroxymonosulfate for clearing up pool water?

I just came across a product at Lowes called "Angry Egg". It was an egg shaped plastic container with large slots that contained what looked like white compressed crystals. The label said it contained Potassium Peroxymonosulfate. It is to be used for clearing up pool water and claims it will clear up a cloudy pool in 12 - 24 hours. I just found an ad on-line here: http://adobe-online-coupons.com/2013/02 ... l-cleaner/ . What do you think, is it any good or is it more snake oil?
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Potassium Peroxymonosulfate for clearing up pool water?

I saw those too...cute, catchy, and nearly always ineffective. MPS works by oxidizing organics...but it's not a sanitizer, so won't kill algae. If you have a bunch of gunk like sweat oils, pee, etc that is clouding up the pool, it could help, but the sun provides enough UV that for an outdoor pool you don't usually have that kind of buildup. An indoor pool sometimes needs a bit of oxidizing help, but I bet just buying MPS is cheaper than one of those eggs.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Potassium Peroxymonosulfate for clearing up pool water?

OK, thanks. I had had never heard of the chemical and was wondering if it was just "another" pool chemical or if it had some value.
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)