Kreepy Krauly (or any suction side cleaner) and two skimmers

Mar 20, 2013
Hi
I havent been here for awhile because my pool has been TROUBLE FREE using BBB!

I do have a Kreepy Krauly that i just received and i notice that it says it does best with dedicated suction. My pool has two skimmers and a main drain which are controlled by one valve and a spill over spa the suction of which is controlled by another. I can shut off the spa suction (and usually do most of the time) but, for the others, i can only shut of one of the three. So if i shut off one skimmer, the main drain and the other skimmer are still pulling. If i shut off the main drain, both skimmers are pulling. When i vacuum, i typically leave open one skimmer and the main drain.

Will this work for a Kreepy or should I shut off the main drain and plug the other skimmer when it is in use?

Many Thanks

Re: Kreepy Krauly (or any suction side cleaner) and two skim

No experience, but I am pretty sure most suction cleaners do not need 100% of the suction flow. In fact usually there is some gauge with the cleaners so that you can dial in the correct amount of suction. How are you attaching it to the skimmer?

I can not picture how your plumbing is done, but would think it should work if you closed the floor drain. Also, you could put a float diverter in the other skimmer and that might be able to reduce the suction there if needed.

I would just try it and see.

ok thanks makes sense. yes, i am going to install through the skimmer and it does have a suction regulator. The order is adapter (into the skimmer hole), suction regulator into adapter, vacuum plate over the suction regulator and then the cleaner into the vacuum plate. The problem that i was envisoning, and i hope does not occur, is that the suction regulator can reduce suction that is too strong but might not be able to increase to sufficient level.

Either way, I was planning to hook it up first and see how it works. May not have an issue.

BTW, what is a float diverter?

And thanks for your response!

float diverter is a space ship or twinkie looking thing that sits under the skimmer basic that can regulate the suction between the skimmer and the drain/equalization line (which can be plumbing into a second hole in the skimmer). If you only have a single hole (due to lack of equalization line and your floor plumbed to the pad), then you would not need one.

If you are not getting enough suction, should be easy to put a tennis ball or something in the line of the other skimmer and then crack the floor drain to reduce the suction if needed.

Instead of a ball that may float when the pump was off, I was thinking a float diverter might could be used to reduce the suctions from the other skimmer instead of cutting it off completely ... but depends what your skimmers look like inside.

Completely full water bottles work the best for plugging skimmers. Just put a filled water bottle in one of the skimmers, connect tha cleaner to the other, and close the main drain or crack it if less suction is needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.