Plumbing in autopilot question

janthony

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 27, 2012
Clarksville, TN
So I got my autopilot yesterday and plan to plumb tonight. The manifold is built well and thus has some weight to it. I am concerned about this weight "sagging" my pipe and stressing the glue joints over time. Should I elbow down and plumb on the floor and add friction loss? or Should I keep it in line about 8-10" off the floor? I am using 2", sch 40. Any pics?

p.s. I am plumbing and capping a in/out for future heater-How much room between the tees is necessary to make life easier later?

Unless you have a very long run of pipe (as in 10') I wouldn't worry about the cell sagging it. Especially since your using 2" sch 40.

I like to leave at very least enough room between fittings that I could add a tee between fittings if I had to. About 12" between fittings is my preference but sometimes space dictates smaller. I very rarely butt them right together. There's only one place on my pool that two fittings are butted together and I made that decision during installation to prevent a trip hazard.

So I got my autopilot yesterday and plan to plumb tonight. The manifold is built well and thus has some weight to it. I am concerned about this weight "sagging" my pipe and stressing the glue joints over time. Should I elbow down and plumb on the floor and add friction loss? or Should I keep it in line about 8-10" off the floor? I am using 2", sch 40. Any pics?

Shouldn't cause any issues that I could see. The manifold weighs about 10 lbs.

Let us know how your install goes and give me a call if you have any questions.

So I have been reading that the flow switch on the SWG shouldn't be my only safety for operation without flow. I have my Ecostar VS pump wired already and it has its own timer built in. Since I am not using a dedicated timer, how would I go about tying the pump power to the autopilot swg? I don't want an explosion in the new poolhouse!

JasonLion said:
The best thing to do is to use a current sensing relay to turn the SWG off unless the pump is drawing power.
Where would the relay be? On the swg or pump? I have no automation. I wonder if i could use the pump start relay in my irrigation controller? It is designed to kick on a booster pump when the timer sends voltage to a valve solenoid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.