Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plumbing in autopilot question

1. Back To Top    #1

Plumbing in autopilot question

So I got my autopilot yesterday and plan to plumb tonight. The manifold is built well and thus has some weight to it. I am concerned about this weight "sagging" my pipe and stressing the glue joints over time. Should I elbow down and plumb on the floor and add friction loss? or Should I keep it in line about 8-10" off the floor? I am using 2", sch 40. Any pics?

p.s. I am plumbing and capping a in/out for future heater-How much room between the tees is necessary to make life easier later?
    34,000 gal., 20x40 Roman, IG Steel/Vinyl, 500# Hayward Sand Filter, 2HP Ecostar-VS, Savi Note LEDs, Autopilot Digital 220 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plumbing in autopilot question

Unless you have a very long run of pipe (as in 10') I wouldn't worry about the cell sagging it. Especially since your using 2" sch 40.

I like to leave at very least enough room between fittings that I could add a tee between fittings if I had to. About 12" between fittings is my preference but sometimes space dictates smaller. I very rarely butt them right together. There's only one place on my pool that two fittings are butted together and I made that decision during installation to prevent a trip hazard.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

So I got my autopilot yesterday and plan to plumb tonight. The manifold is built well and thus has some weight to it. I am concerned about this weight "sagging" my pipe and stressing the glue joints over time. Should I elbow down and plumb on the floor and add friction loss? or Should I keep it in line about 8-10" off the floor? I am using 2", sch 40. Any pics?
    Shouldn't cause any issues that I could see. The manifold weighs about 10 lbs.

Let us know how your install goes and give me a call if you have any questions.
    Josh Ulfers - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

4. Back To Top    #4

So I have been reading that the flow switch on the SWG shouldn't be my only safety for operation without flow. I have my Ecostar VS pump wired already and it has its own timer built in. Since I am not using a dedicated timer, how would I go about tying the pump power to the autopilot swg? I don't want an explosion in the new poolhouse!
    34,000 gal., 20x40 Roman, IG Steel/Vinyl, 500# Hayward Sand Filter, 2HP Ecostar-VS, Savi Note LEDs, Autopilot Digital 220 SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

Exact same discussion going on here:
    do-i-need-automation-t56621.html
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

The best thing to do is to use a current sensing relay to turn the SWG off unless the pump is drawing power.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    The best thing to do is to use a current sensing relay to turn the SWG off unless the pump is drawing power.
    Where would the relay be? On the swg or pump? I have no automation. I wonder if i could use the pump start relay in my irrigation controller? It is designed to kick on a booster pump when the timer sends voltage to a valve solenoid.

8. Back To Top    #8

There are a couple of examples of current sensing relay installs here.

The relay senses the current flowing to the pump and switches the power flowing to the SWG.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School