Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Light Automation

1. Back To Top    #1

Light Automation

This might be a long shot based on what I have found searching the interment but I am looking for a way to control the pool and spa lights remotely. I think valve/pump/heater automation is more than I will use or want to spend. I am just wanting to turn the pool and spa lights on without having to walk around to the pool switches
    14,000 gallon IG plaster pool, Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Light Automation

If your lights are 12volt connected to a 110 external (standalone)transformer you could put a 110 plug on the cord instead of hard wiring and then plug it in via an RF remote switch(Christmas/landscape remote control) any big box store will have them. Your power outlet should have an all weather "in use" cover to prevent shorting.
    http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=out ... &FORM=IGRE
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

3. Back To Top    #3

Intermatic makes some nice lighting remote control systems that are relatively affordable and will pass an electrical inspection.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

If you had Intellibrite lights, you could by the standalone controller. Runs about $285 online. Maybe it will work with other brands..
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

There are several home automation solutions that would work for this, whether 120V or 12V. An older approach would use X10 based modules with an RF remote control. Now, you can find better alternatives including Z-Wave and Insteon. I use the latter along with an ISY-99i to control a large number of Insteon devices in the home (including some low voltage lighting around the property). Insteon is based on a dual mesh powerline/RF communications protocol. Several vendors sell Z-Wave modules that would also work. I believe Z-Wave is entirely based on RF alone. The overall pricing is roughly similar. For both Z-Wave and Insteon, you would need to purchase at least one module to switch the load, and you would need an RF remote. For Insteon, you would also need some way for the remote to communicate with the module. They now sell dual band modules for this purpose. For both Z-Wave and Insteon, you can also purchase servers that allow you to schedule the modules to turn on and off at specified times, respond to macros (i.e. if I hit this one button, all of my lights in the backyard will come on at pre-programmed levels, and will turn off after 1:00 AM automatically, etc). These servers also allow remote access, and allow you to use a smart phone or remote computer to control the modules, which can be handy.

To make a long story short, what you want to do is quite easily done. There are several routes, it just depends on how reliable you want this, and how much control you want.
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by CraigMW
    There are several home automation solutions that would work for this, whether 120V or 12V. An older approach would use X10 based modules with an RF remote control. Now, you can find better alternatives including Z-Wave and Insteon. I use the latter along with an ISY-99i to control a large number of Insteon devices in the home (including some low voltage lighting around the property). Insteon is based on a dual mesh powerline/RF communications protocol. Several vendors sell Z-Wave modules that would also work. I believe Z-Wave is entirely based on RF alone. The overall pricing is roughly similar. For both Z-Wave and Insteon, you would need to purchase at least one module to switch the load, and you would need an RF remote. For Insteon, you would also need some way for the remote to communicate with the module. They now sell dual band modules for this purpose. For both Z-Wave and Insteon, you can also purchase servers that allow you to schedule the modules to turn on and off at specified times, respond to macros (i.e. if I hit this one button, all of my lights in the backyard will come on at pre-programmed levels, and will turn off after 1:00 AM automatically, etc). These servers also allow remote access, and allow you to use a smart phone or remote computer to control the modules, which can be handy.

To make a long story short, what you want to do is quite easily done. There are several routes, it just depends on how reliable you want this, and how much control you want.
    Thanks for this. The Z-Wave is exactly what I am looking for.
    14,000 gallon IG plaster pool, Cartridge Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

I used the micro switch from INSTEON, (got it on line at Smarthome) easy set-up and supported by their HUB (cloud iPhone/Android) controlled as well as the HouseLink. Think the switch we around $40. But as CraigMW stated you will need the infrastructure to communicate (Z-Wave, Insteon) with the remote switches regardless of what system you go with.
    And since the house wasnít originally wired for automation, Iím using several INSTEON switches and receptacles to control lighting and other things throughout the house.
    22,000 Gal. Pebble-tech Sand Finish Pool | Pentair Pump(s) | Jandy AquaLink RS6 Controls | CircuPool RJ45 SWG