Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I got a little lazy in my chemical watching.

1. Back To Top    #1

I got a little lazy in my chemical watching.

I just built my first pool last August. Inground, with a plaster (quartz) finish. Everything was going perfect thanks to this site....so perfect in fact that by the time December rolled around and the water temp was around 45 degrees I ignored my pool. Except for the occasional vacuuming. The water looked great so I didn't really test it. Then the weather warmed up and I started paying attention again and I realized that my CH level was about 75. I've read that anything under 100 can start to eat at the finish. Did I screw up my finish? I've also noticed a couple of stains in the deep end? Will they come out now that I'm bringing my chemicals back in line?
    half Inground/half above ground, shotcrete pool, 19,000 gallons - KrystalKrete Krystal Blue quartz finish
    Pentair intelliflo variable speed pump - Pentair Easy Touch automation - Pentair T100 sand filter - Savi Melody LED lights - Mortex KoolDeck - Charleston, South Carolina

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I got a little lazy in my chemical watching.

Hard to say if you damaged it or not. What were the full test results?

The stains coming out depend what kind of stain it is. Organic may be removed by the FC and a little scrubbing. Metal stains will require possibly using vitamin C to remove them.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I can't remember the exact test results off hand, Chlorine was basically 0, TA was like 85, CYA was around 35, PH was 7.8. But this brings up another question. If I closed up my pool and put a cover on it for the winter. Do you still test it regularly and add chemicals? Like calcium chloride?
    half Inground/half above ground, shotcrete pool, 19,000 gallons - KrystalKrete Krystal Blue quartz finish
    Pentair intelliflo variable speed pump - Pentair Easy Touch automation - Pentair T100 sand filter - Savi Melody LED lights - Mortex KoolDeck - Charleston, South Carolina

4. Back To Top    #4

If the pool is fully winterized then you leave it alone for the winter. But if you can still run the pump it is worth taking a peek every month or so and adding a little chlorine (which requires having the pump running).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School