Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New St. Louis Pool * water August 1st!

1. Back To Top    #1

New St. Louis Pool * water August 1st!

Getting ready to sign a contract on this pool in the next week!!! We are so excited!

Heading out to look at pebble sheen colors tomorrow, I'm comparing Bordeaux, Ocean Blue and Blue Granite. We have a wooded back yard and should have a decent amount of shade, we don't want any green-ness, but are definitely bigger fans of the darker colors. Any help is appreciated!

I think the "dig" is about a few weeks away as we got our place in line and have permits being pulled now. I'll keep this updated with pictures as often as I can, I know that's been my favorite part of being on this site.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Build under way:http://s1360.photobucket.com/user/jc...982/slideshow/

42'-18' Freeform Shotcrete pool. 3'6"-8'6" depth. pebble sheen (ocean blue), IntelliFlo 4x160, Pentair Ultra Temp Model 120, System 3 Modular Media Filter, SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New St. Louis Pool

Very nice looking, as long as they're tearing up the yard- Now is the time to install any future water features, run any extra electrical conduit (with or without wire)
    Post pictures as the project moves along
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the advice! As I look at this there are a few things missing like the bball hoop and we will probably have a few lamppost type of lights. We talked to the landscaper about extra electric, water, cable and speaker wire being run to the pool.

42'-18' Freeform Shotcrete pool. 3'6"-8'6" depth. pebble sheen (ocean blue), IntelliFlo 4x160, Pentair Ultra Temp Model 120, System 3 Modular Media Filter, SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

Just a question? Why the 500watt lights and not LEDs? They are low voltage so should last longer and be less expensive to have on. ( I programmed my lights to color wash all night 7 days a week. ) awesome waking up in the middle of the night and look out the window to see the pool all lit up!
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

5. Back To Top    #5

Our PB wants $500 more per light and I had to stop somewhere, guess I could push them on getting LEDs.

6. Back To Top    #6

Not telling you to change just asking, can't imagine $500 more to change to LED but I'm not in the industry and don't know what their mark up is.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Ours were $550/light. We (will) have two. I think somewhere in that price range is the norm for the upgrade from what I've seen here.

Your plan looks great. Looking forward to the progress pics!
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Like the design! Our PB wanted $350 a light to upgrade but said he personally didn't think they were worth the money and if I changed my mind in the future that i could simply swap bulbs as the system they're putting in is the same as the LED just with a different bulb.
    John Nguyen, CWS I
    Sales and Applications Engineer
    Stenner Pump Company

9. Back To Top    #9

Talked to PB today, he had an iPad controller in the bid that I don't think I really need, so we are swapping it for 2 LEDs.

I saw Ocean Blue today, which was initially what I thought I wanted and loved it.

10. Back To Top    #10

You will like the LED lights. We debated back and forth on our build because we were at our limit and did not want to spend the extra $1000 to upgrade 2 pool lights and 1 spa light. The one thing that got me to upgrade was the feeling that if I did not, I would regret it 1-3 years down the road and not have an easy way to do it. You can always buy the iPad controller at a later date if you need that.
    20,000 IG WetEdge Satin Matrix Northshore Plum, Filled 8/24/12

11. Back To Top    #11

Looks like a great build. Looking forward to the pic's!!
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

12. Back To Top    #12

Signed the contract yesterday, now we wait for permits and someone to cut down about 16 mostly huge trees.

couple of questions to anyone that might know the answer:
    1. is it worth the small fortune ($6k) to put in a heat/cool pump? Will an electric heat pump really even warm up the water the same way a gas heater would? Is it more cost effective than gas (cost about $4k more). its a Pentair UltraTemp Model # 120 H/C - Green
    2. We have an automatic sweep as well, Legend Platinum w timer.... is that a good sweeper?

13. Back To Top    #13

Add your location to your profile ... the heater recommendation really depends on your local weather and how you intend to use the heater (maintain temperature 24/7 or only heat the pool occasionally)
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

I'm thinking we'll use it to open the pool a little earlier than Memorial Day and to keep it open a little after Labor Day.
    Most pools became pretty unbearably hot last summer and in that case we may use the cool feature

15. Back To Top    #15

Heat pumps are generally if you plan to maintain the pool temperature at all times ... they are slow to actually raise the temperature and do not work when the air is cold.

Gas heaters always work and can raise the temp relatively quickly. This would be a good choice if you were only going to want to add heat occasionally on the weekends ... or for some crazy party early spring / late fall. No cooling feature, but that is easily remedied by using a home made fountain off one of the returns.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

16. Back To Top    #16

Well that doesn't sound great, so it won't probably keep the heat if the temps drop at night right? Here's our real problem, we have an all electric home, so has isn't an option .

17. Back To Top    #17

I really do not know much about how the heat pumps work. I think once the air get into the 50s they stop being very effective ... there are many threads that discuss this if you search for them.

You would certainly want to use a cover on the pool to greatly reduce the heat lost at night with any heater.

I have solar and right now am gaining about 6 degrees in the day, problem is I am loosing 5-6 degrees at night without a cover. But, the weather has been 10-15 degrees cooler the last week, so that is not helping either. We are going to try putting a tarp on the pool to see if we can get it warmed up some more before Easter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya
    Well that doesn't sound great, so it won't probably keep the heat if the temps drop at night right? Here's our real problem, we have an all electric home, so has isn't an option .
    I'm a neighbor to the west of you in Kansas, all electric home like you. Can't imagine your electric rates are much better there so it could be very costly going with a heat pump.

If we were going to heat our pool, I would look into a propane tank(250-500gal) and get a gas heater or go solar and make sure I kept a solar blanket on it when not swimming.

I'm a cheapskate, so I'm doing the DIY solar coils (youtube)using black landscape piping connected to a return outlet until I find a deal on some panels.

19. Back To Top    #19

Not sure if it helps but in central MS we were told to expect upwards of $1000 a month in gas charges for a heater, never looked at electric ones though. Our PB did say he sells more chillers than heaters though
    John Nguyen, CWS I
    Sales and Applications Engineer
    Stenner Pump Company

20. Back To Top    #20

PB said with the way a heat pump runs and it's efficiency it would cost and extra $600 a yr to regulate w heat for the season we want, a little more if we use the cooling.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast